The House Longhorn beetle measures up to 25 mm long when mature, and can lay up to 200 eggs on the rough surface of untreated timber. After 2-3 weeks, the larvae emerge and bore into the timber. They can be detected by the powdery deposits known as ‘frass’ left on the surface and the bore holes of around 3 mm diameter. They are attreacted to damp areas and timber with a high moisture content.
Other woodborer insects include:
- Furniture beetle: These are 6-8 mm long and lay 20-50 eggs on soft or hardwoods.
- Lyctus powder post beetle: These are 10-15 mm long and lap 70-200 eggs on the sapwood of new hardwood.
- Death Watch beetle: Around 7 mm long and lay 40-80 eggs on hardwood. Are a particular problem on oak timbers found in old churches and similar buildings.
Timber can be treated:by:
- A water-based boron treatment which can be sprayed or brushed on, or injected as a gel or paste.
- Ultraviolet insect killers.
- Fumigation or fogging.
- Replacing affected wood.
- Monitoring and improving conditions to prevent re-infestation.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Ancient Woodland.
- Building preservation archive.
- Confederation of Timber Industries.
- Cross-laminated timber.
- Defects in construction.
- Domestic roofs.
- Dry rot fungus.
- European Union Timber Regulation.
- Flat roof defects.
- Flooring defects.
- Laminated veneer lumber LVL.
- Recognising wood rot and insect damage in buildings.
- Roofing defects.
- Timber framed buildings and fire.
- Timber preservation.
- Woodworm and spiders.
IHBC Vice Chair Kathy Davies was a delegate at the APPG on 13/03 which asked, ‘Will the NPPF Review deliver the homes the country needs’ - all concluded : ‘Not a chance!’.
IHBC Northern Ireland Branch Chair Andrew McClelland introduced early thoughts for the 2018 Belfast School – now coming up fast, in June 21-3. View the video…
From up to c.£1.8+M of costed work this week: Haringey Council’s Bruce Grove Toilet Restoration project, closing 26/03, valued £25-50K.
David McDonald, President & Carla Pianese, Support Officer, represented the IHBC’s outreach and recruitment stand at the conference.
2017 - 60th anniversary of the death of Violet Pinwill who in 50+ years as a woodcarver produced a body of work seen in more than 300 churches in Devon and Cornwall.
Historic Environment Scotland (HES) has unveiled a new £12 million investment plan for conservation projects on some of Scotland’s most iconic historic sites.
Highways England has highlighted how the iconic Spaghetti Junction structure is set to be immortalised at the new LEGOLAND Discovery Centre in Birmingham.