- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 13 Jan 2021
The meaning of bay in the construction industry
- When used in relation to a window, (as in ‘bay window’), it describes a part of the construction (in plan and elevation) that protrudes outwards from the main building line and is partly or wholly glazed. Bay windows take various shapes such as curved, rectilinear, polygonal etc.
- An elevation can also be divided into bays, whether these are subtle, eg delineated by rainwater pipes or movement joints, or created by more three-dimensional features such as a crenulated configuration of the walls.
- A bay in a building can also describe an internal area that is demarcated by structural elements. For example, in a building that comprises a grid with columns spaced at 6m-centres in both x- and y-directions, the result on-plan will be the creation of bays measuring 6m x 6m – assuming measurements are taken to the grid centre-lines.
- Bay can also refer to an area that is connected to and forms a small annexe to a larger area, such as a subsidiary area used for some function connected to the activity of the main area, e.g a loading bay.
- Bay (or bays) can also refer to single parking spaces that are created by painted lines on the ground.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.