- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 30 Jan 2015
Options review report
An options review report might be prepared following an options appraisal exercise, to help the client select their preferred option from a range of possibilities. A project brief for the preferred option can then be prepared so that consultants can be appointed to begin the design process.
The options review report might contain:
- A general description of the options.
- Diagrammatic sketch layouts.
- The overall consequences of each option for the client's operations.
- Assessment of compatibility with the strategic brief and business case.
- Assessment of the overall feasibility of each option.
- Potential for future-proofing.
- Planning permission issues (including the potential requirement for an environmental impact assessment).
- Sustainability considerations.
- Impact on the local community and environment.
- Third party dependencies.
- Value management exercises.
- Whole-life costs with a rudimentary assessment of costs/sqm, configuration and servicing.
- Time-frames, phasing and key milestones.
- Procurement route.
- Project risks.
It may include drawings, massing models and other material that the client finds easy to assess against the strategic brief, as well as technical assessments. Wherever possible this information should be prepared in a form that is easy to interrogate, compare and test against the strategic brief and should draw on data and sources that are being managed in a consistent way. Information should be stored and named in a way consistent with the long-term project and operational needs.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
How not to upset the planners.
CEEQUAL International and how it works.
Communities across England are being encouraged to nominate heritage assets.
Access control in buildings.
MASTRO project – lifecycle costing and assessment.
Five things to consider before installing solar panels.
New conservation building for the Louvre completed.
A balance between character and climate.
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.