- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2020
Options review report
An options review report might be prepared following an options appraisal exercise, to help the client select their preferred option from a range of possibilities. A project brief for the preferred option can then be prepared so that consultants can be appointed to begin the design process.
The options review report might contain:
- A general description of the options.
- Diagrammatic sketch layouts.
- The overall consequences of each option for the client's operations.
- Assessment of compatibility with the strategic brief and business case.
- Assessment of the overall feasibility of each option.
- Potential for future-proofing.
- Planning permission issues (including the potential requirement for an environmental impact assessment).
- Sustainability considerations.
- Impact on the local community and environment.
- Third party dependencies.
- Value management exercises.
- Whole-life costs with a rudimentary assessment of costs/sqm, configuration and servicing.
- Time-frames, phasing and key milestones.
- Procurement route.
- Project risks.
It may include drawings, massing models and other material that the client finds easy to assess against the strategic brief, as well as technical assessments. Wherever possible this information should be prepared in a form that is easy to interrogate, compare and test against the strategic brief and should draw on data and sources that are being managed in a consistent way. Information should be stored and named in a way consistent with the long-term project and operational needs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Organisations will collaborate on infrastructure initiatives.
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.