Options review report
An options review report might be prepared following an options appraisal exercise, to help the client select their preferred option from a range of possibilities. A project brief for the preferred option can then be prepared so that consultants can be appointed to begin the design process.
The options review report might contain:
- A general description of the options.
- Diagrammatic sketch layouts.
- The overall consequences of each option for the client's operations.
- Assessment of compatibility with the strategic brief and business case.
- Assessment of the overall feasibility of each option.
- Potential for future-proofing.
- Planning permission issues (including the potential requirement for an environmental impact assessment).
- Sustainability considerations.
- Impact on the local community and environment.
- Third party dependencies.
- Value management exercises.
- Whole-life costs with a rudimentary assessment of costs/sqm, configuration and servicing.
- Time-frames, phasing and key milestones.
- Procurement route.
- Project risks.
It may include drawings, massing models and other material that the client finds easy to assess against the strategic brief, as well as technical assessments. Wherever possible this information should be prepared in a form that is easy to interrogate, compare and test against the strategic brief and should draw on data and sources that are being managed in a consistent way. Information should be stored and named in a way consistent with the long-term project and operational needs.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Richard Hayward of Legrand asks whether technology could help developers meet the needs of an increasingly diverse population.
Thomas Heatherwick's ambitious steel structure begins construction.
The principles, practice and formwork of one of the most important components of modern architecture.
New report claims that inappropriate standards and regulations are holding back the use of composites.
The global smart homes and smart light commercial market will grow fastest in the UK.
Have a look at our article explaining the different types of construction contractor.
Futurist Thomas Frey explores the concept of Disposable Housing - could it be a reality sooner than we imagine?
ICE to host new exhibition offering a window onto the civil engineering achievements beneath our feet.
Do you know all the various types of defects in brickwork?
US museum reveals plans for an installation made entirely of paper tubes.
Review of a book looking at how contemporary architecture found its expression within neoliberal capitalism.
The Great Mosque of Djenne, the largest mud-brick building in the world.
Amanda Clack, RICS President offers recommendations to government on Brexit and the construction skills shortage.
Why do so many women leave engineering? Probably not for the reason you’re thinking.