Concept architectural design checklist
Concept architectural design (as opposed to concept structural design or concept services design) should take the development of the design to a level where it is sufficient to make a detailed planning application. This might include:
- An analysis of the local context (physical, social, economic and planning).
- The location:
- Adjoining roads and buildings.
- Access to the site.
- Visibility splays.
- The site:
- Boundary treatment and the relationship of the development with its boundaries and existing buildings.
- Public rights of way.
- The position of trees.
- Car parking.
- The relationship between buildings and spaces around them.
- Accessibility of the site
- The impact of the layout on energy consumption and comfort.
- Crime prevention measures.
- The height, width, length and orientation of buildings and their relationship to the local context and the human scale.
- Entrances and facades (including the proportion of glazing).
- The appearance of the buildings.
- Their distribution across the site.
- Accessibility to and between them.
- Their relationship to uses surrounding the site.
- Their flexibility.
- Texture, contrast, tone and lighting in relation to accessibility.
- Access for emergency services.
- Description of hard and soft landscaping.
- Its relationship to the local context.
- Measures for the minimisation of energy consumption.
- Low-carbon and renewable energy sources.
- Adaptability to climate change.
- The use of materials and their potential for re-use and recycling.
- Waste handling (see site waste management plan).
- The buildability, packaging and co-ordination of the design.
- Identification of long lead-time and non standard items.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Anthropometrics in architectural design.
- Briefing documents.
- Concept architectural design.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept services design.
- Concept structural design.
- Design methodology.
- Design review.
- Design quality.
- Detailed design.
- Detailed planning application.
- Site waste management plan.
 External references
- Department for Communities and Local Government: Guidance on information requirements and validation.
- Climate Change Supplement to PPS1 (December 2007) (now archived).
Featured articles and news
There were over 1,400 new articles added to Designing Buildings Wiki in 2016. Here are the top 15 most popular.
MVRDV reveal designs for a strange holiday villa in Taiwan.
New milestone achieved with launch of new safety lanyard for working from height.
A quick introductory article about preliminaries in construction.
Brandenburg Gate - an historic structure that went from symbolising German partition to European unity.
A discussion between construction key players and leading insurers on the future outlook for construction insurance.
New guide from BSRIA on building performance evaluation in domestic buildings.
Rogers Stirk Harbour and Partners complete new trio of towers at Sydney Harbour.
With a new government consultation underway, ICE look at creating a smarter, more flexible energy system.
British Antarctic Survey announces research station is to relocate 23km due to growing crack in the ice shelf.
A great example of mimetic architecture with the Fish Building of India.