Concept architectural design checklist
Concept architectural design (as opposed to concept structural design or concept services design) should take the development of the design to a level where it is sufficient to make a detailed planning application. This might include:
- An analysis of the local context (physical, social, economic and planning).
- The location:
- Adjoining roads and buildings.
- Access to the site.
- Visibility splays.
- The site:
- Boundary treatment and the relationship of the development with its boundaries and existing buildings.
- Public rights of way.
- The position of trees.
- Car parking.
- The relationship between buildings and spaces around them.
- Accessibility of the site
- The impact of the layout on energy consumption and comfort.
- Crime prevention measures.
- The height, width, length and orientation of buildings and their relationship to the local context and the human scale.
- Entrances and facades (including the proportion of glazing).
- The appearance of the buildings.
- Their distribution across the site.
- Accessibility to and between them.
- Their relationship to uses surrounding the site.
- Their flexibility.
- Texture, contrast, tone and lighting in relation to accessibility.
- Access for emergency services.
- Description of hard and soft landscaping.
- Its relationship to the local context.
- Measures for the minimisation of energy consumption.
- Low-carbon and renewable energy sources.
- Adaptability to climate change.
- The use of materials and their potential for re-use and recycling.
- Waste handling (see site waste management plan).
- The buildability, packaging and co-ordination of the design.
- Identification of long lead-time and non standard items.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Anthropometrics in architectural design.
- Briefing documents.
- Concept architectural design.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept services design.
- Concept structural design.
- Design methodology.
- Design review.
- Design quality.
- Detailed design.
- Detailed planning application.
- Site waste management plan.
 External references
- Department for Communities and Local Government: Guidance on information requirements and validation.
- Climate Change Supplement to PPS1 (December 2007) (now archived).
Featured articles and news
Read about Belgrade's Brutalist landmark - the Western City Gate.
Read about the measures that can be taken by individuals to protect and minimise exposure to outdoor sourced air pollution.
Government announces leaseholds on new-build houses will be banned.
Transport Secretary announces public consultation into London's funding of Crossrail 2.
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.