- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Nov 2017
Concept architectural design checklist
Concept architectural design (as opposed to concept structural design or concept services design) should take the development of the design to a level where it is sufficient to make a detailed planning application.
This might include:
- An analysis of the local context (physical, social, economic and planning).
- The location:
- The site:
- Boundary treatment and the relationship of the development with its boundaries and existing buildings.
- Public rights of way.
- The position of trees.
- Car parking.
- The relationship between buildings and spaces around them.
- Accessibility of the site
- The impact of the layout on energy consumption and comfort.
- Crime prevention measures.
- The height, width, length and orientation of buildings and their relationship to the local context and the human scale.
- Entrances and facades (including the proportion of glazing).
- The appearance of the buildings.
- Their distribution across the site.
- Accessibility to and between them.
- Their relationship to uses surrounding the site.
- Their flexibility.
- Texture, contrast, tone and lighting in relation to accessibility.
- Access for emergency services.
- Description of hard and soft landscaping.
- Its relationship to the local context.
- Measures for the minimisation of energy consumption.
- Low-carbon and renewable energy sources.
- Adaptability to climate change.
- The use of materials and their potential for re-use and recycling.
- Waste handling (see site waste management plan).
- Identification of long lead-time and non standard items.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Anthropometrics in architectural design.
- Briefing documents.
- Concept architectural design.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept services design.
- Concept structural design.
- Design methodology.
- Design review.
- Design quality.
- Detailed design.
- Detailed planning application.
- Site waste management plan.
 External references
- Department for Communities and Local Government: Guidance on information requirements and validation.
- Climate Change Supplement to PPS1 (December 2007) (now archived).
Featured articles and news
The Isle of Man’s naturally-occurring materials and distinctive building techniques.
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.