- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Jun 2019
Concept architectural design checklist
Concept architectural design (as opposed to concept structural design or concept services design) should take the development of the design to a level where it is sufficient to make a detailed planning application.
This might include:
- An analysis of the local context (physical, social, economic and planning).
- The location:
- The site:
- Boundary treatment and the relationship of the development with its boundaries and existing buildings.
- Public rights of way.
- The position of trees.
- Car parking.
- The relationship between buildings and spaces around them.
- Accessibility of the site
- The impact of the layout on energy consumption and comfort.
- Crime prevention measures.
- The height, width, length and orientation of buildings and their relationship to the local context and the human scale.
- Entrances and facades (including the proportion of glazing).
- The appearance of the buildings.
- Their distribution across the site.
- Accessibility to and between them.
- Their relationship to uses surrounding the site.
- Their flexibility.
- Texture, contrast, tone and lighting in relation to accessibility.
- Access for emergency services.
- Measures for the minimisation of energy consumption.
- Low-carbon and renewable energy sources.
- Adaptability to climate change.
- The use of materials and their potential for re-use and recycling.
- Waste handling (see site waste management plan).
- Identification of long lead-time and non standard items.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Anthropometrics in architectural design.
- Briefing documents.
- Concept architectural design.
- Concept design.
- Concept design report.
- Concept services design.
- Concept structural design.
- Design methodology.
- Design phase.
- Design review.
- Design quality.
- Detailed design.
- Detailed planning application.
- Site waste management plan.
 External references
- Department for Communities and Local Government: Guidance on information requirements and validation.
- Climate Change Supplement to PPS1 (December 2007) (now archived).
Featured articles and news
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.
Whilst apparently confusing, German conservation is actually not that different.
The rise and fall of council housing. Book review.
Drivers of change in global heating markets.