- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 08 Oct 2020
Innovation in engineering and construction, a sleeping sector awakens in Davos
Disruptive innovation in the engineering and construction industry? Sounds like an oxymoron to those who are associating the sector with the dull and dirty. But the industry is currently heading towards a digital transformation, and innovation is prominently on the agenda.
The cases include Flagship projects, such as:
- Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.
- The Edge, the world’s most sustainable office building.
- The New Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, the largest ever hospital PPP project.
The cases also include disruptive startups and pilot projects, such as:
- Chinese construction company Broad Sustainable Building, which made international headlines by constructing a 57-storey skyscraper in only 19 days.
- MX3D, which uses robots to 3D-print a steel bridge in Amsterdam.
- Aditazz, based in Silicon Valley, which uses design-automation principles from the semi-conductor industry to revolutionize the design of health-care facilities.
- Winsun, which has pioneered at-scale 3D-printing of houses.
- Uptake, a predictive analytics startup which was Forbes’ hottest startup in 2015.
In Davos, several dozen CEOs and ministers reviewed the potential of these innovations in a private session. A preliminary (soft-launch) report Shaping the Future of Construction – Lessons from leading innovators and disruptors describes seven of ten lighthouse innovation cases in detail and summarises the key success factors for implementing innovation in the construction ecosystem.
Interested? Take a look at the knowledge-sharing platform, containing these and more case studies, blog posts and mini-essays written by industry leaders as well as fresh ideas for the sector’s future developed by students and young professionals.
--Future of Construction 14:32, 20 Jun 2017 (BST)
Featured articles and news
Prioritising tax considerations.
The four D creative process: discover, define, develop and deliver.
National Cyber Security Centre initiative is announced.
Reviewing trends and projections.
Legislation will establish initiatives to move towards net zero.
How to document contractor employment status.
Tech tools to help manage people and space post-pandemic.
A style that ranges from mock Tudor to arts and crafts to the 'Wrenaissance'.
Free guide from Secured by Design.
BREEAM strategy for sustainability and the circular economy.
Free tool to improve the construction programming process.
Are buildings doing what they're supposed to be doing?
Cities with quick access to everything by foot or bike.
The pressures and pinch points of global destinations.