- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 20 Jun 2017
Innovation in engineering and construction, a sleeping sector awakens in Davos
Disruptive innovation in the engineering and construction industry? Sounds like an oxymoron to those who are associating the sector with the dull and dirty. But the industry is currently heading towards a digital transformation, and innovation is prominently on the agenda.
The cases include Flagship projects, such as:
- Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.
- The Edge, the world’s most sustainable office building.
- The New Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, the largest ever hospital PPP project.
The cases also include disruptive startups and pilot projects, such as:
- Chinese construction company Broad Sustainable Building, which made international headlines by constructing a 57-storey skyscraper in only 19 days.
- MX3D, which uses robots to 3D-print a steel bridge in Amsterdam.
- Aditazz, based in Silicon Valley, which uses design-automation principles from the semi-conductor industry to revolutionize the design of health-care facilities.
- Winsun, which has pioneered at-scale 3D-printing of houses.
- Uptake, a predictive analytics startup which was Forbes’ hottest startup in 2015.
In Davos, several dozen CEOs and ministers reviewed the potential of these innovations in a private session. A preliminary (soft-launch) report Shaping the Future of Construction – Lessons from leading innovators and disruptors describes seven of ten lighthouse innovation cases in detail and summarises the key success factors for implementing innovation in the construction ecosystem.
Interested? Take a look at the knowledge-sharing platform, containing these and more case studies, blog posts and mini-essays written by industry leaders as well as fresh ideas for the sector’s future developed by students and young professionals.
--Future of Construction 14:32, 20 Jun 2017 (BST)
Featured articles and news
Rich opportunities lie in the jigsaw of the Highlands and Islands.
Five hugely demanding projects.
Conversion of Blairtum House, Lanarkshire
Why civil engineering is the 'best' career.
Green rating systems
Information is the lifeblood of quality management.
How PowerLottery helps industry colleagues.
Eliminating waste through blockchain.
Emerging cost contracts.
Connecting infrastructure with housing.
All about E-procurement.