- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Aug 2017
The Technology Strategy Board was established in 2004 to advise the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry on business research, technology and innovation. On 1 July 2007 it took on a wider role and was re-structured as an arm's length, business-led, executive non-departmental public body (NDPB) sponsored and funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS). For more information see Technology Strategy Board.
Innovate UK stated, 'The nature and remit of the organisation will remain the same. It will continue to fund, support and connect innovative businesses through a unique mix of people and programmes to accelerate sustainable economic growth.'
Innovate UK is the UK’s innovation agency. It works with people, companies and partner organisations to find and drive the science and technology innovations that will grow the UK economy, delivering productivity, new jobs and exports. Its aim is to keep the UK globally competitive in the race for future prosperity.
It has 300 staff, and a head office in Swindon and its work includes:
- Determining which science and technology developments will drive future economic growth.
- Meeting UK innovators with ideas.
- Funding the strongest opportunities.
- Connecting innovators with the partners they need to succeed.
- Helping innovators launch, build and grow successful businesses.
On 3 March 2015, Innovate UK published Future building, The Low Impact Building Innovation Platform, which set out how up to £60 million in grant funding would be invested between 2015 and 2019.
Innovate UK's delivery plan for 2016/17 is available at: Innovate UK delivery plan 2016 to 2017
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Bill Gething and Katie Puckett - Design for Climate Change.
- Construction 2025.
- Future building, The Low Impact Building Innovation Platform.
- Government Construction Strategy.
- Infrastructure Exports: UK (IE:UK).
- Low Impact Building Innovation Platform.
- Modern Built Environment Knowledge Transfer Network.
- National Platform for the Built Environment.
- Technology Strategy Board
 External references
Featured articles and news
The complex situation where events occur at the same time but the contractor is unable to claim loss and expense.
How can Latin America and the Caribbean unlock the digital potential of their new and existing built environment?
CIOB publish a new code of estimating practice.
These relate to a programme where each activity is allocated a price and interim payments made against completion.
Police testing finds that flat door could only withstand fire for half its designed time.
Have a look at these images from a new photography book of buildings being reclaimed by nature.
What does the phrase 'demised premises' mean? Find out here in our introductory article.
New good practice guidance looks at the best way to deliver multi-functional solar car parks.
Philip Hammond suggests the public finances have reached a turning point.
The fifth annual ICE-Topcon lecture looked at how to balance smart technology and security.
Support grows for the Construction (Retention Deposit Schemes) Bill.