- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 13 Jan 2021
Heating controls refer to:
For central heating systems:
- Timers which control when the heating goes on and off. They range from simple manual timeclocks to complex digital programmers and most include a manual override.
- Room thermostats which measure air temperature in the home, and switch the space heating on and off. They can be used to set a single target temperature and there may be one or more of these in the dwelling.
- Thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) which enable the temperature of radiators in individual rooms to be modified manually.
- Manual or automatic charge controls adjust the amount of heat stored overnight. The more recently introduced automatic controls measure the temperature in the room (or more rarely, outside the house). If the temperature is milder these allow less heat to be stored, saving money.
- Celect type controller has electronic sensors throughout the dwelling linking to a central control device. It monitors the individual room.
Ref English Housing Survey, Energy efficiency, 2018-19, Published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government in July 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targetted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report