- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Mar 2018
GC Works contracts
The suite of standard Government Conditions of contract, GC Works, is still available; however, it is no longer being updated by the government, who has moved to the New Engineering Contract, now in its fourth edition (NEC4).
The GC Works contracts were created primarily for government projects, but could be used in the private sector. They were published by the Stationery Office for the Property Advisors for the Civil Estate (PACE).
The suite of contracts comprised:
- GC Works 1: Without quantities.
- GC Works 1: With quantities.
- GC Works 1: Single-stage design and build.
- GC Works 1: Model forms and commentary.
- GC Works 1: Two-stage design and build.
- GC Works 1: Construction management trade contract with quantities.
- GC Works 1: Construction management trade contract without quantities.
- GC Works 2: Minor works.
- GC Works 3: Contract for mechanical and electrical engineering works.
- GC Works 4: Contract for building, small works.
In addition, there were a range of supporting documents such as; sub-contracts, forms of tender, invitation to tender, performance bonds, parent company guarantees, retention bonds, notices and certificates.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Contract conditions.
- Government departments responsibility for construction.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Minor works contract.
- Procurement route.
 External references
- Fenwick Elliot: Know your contract. November 2009.
Featured articles and news
BRE partner with Global GreenTag to develop an Ethical Labour Sourcing Standard for Australia.
The Chartered Quality Institute explain the pathway to success for organisations implementing management systems.
An introductory article looking at where a duty of care can arise in the construction industry.
House of Lords committee encourages the use of off-site manufacturing in new report.
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) can go some way to show the impact of new buildings on their surroundings.
The shortlist for the 2018 prize for the UK's best new building is revealed.
Amendment to Bill aims to provide councils with greater powers to increase tax premiums on empty homes.
As the latest summer blockbuster 'Skyscraper' is released, we look at some of the best uses of buildings in film.
Read our introductory article on how to layout a building.
New cross-party report calls for combustible cladding ban to be extended to all high-rise residential buildings.