- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Mar 2018
GC Works contracts
The suite of standard Government Conditions of contract, GC Works, is still available; however, it is no longer being updated by the government, who has moved to the New Engineering Contract, now in its fourth edition (NEC4).
The GC Works contracts were created primarily for government projects, but could be used in the private sector. They were published by the Stationery Office for the Property Advisors for the Civil Estate (PACE).
The suite of contracts comprised:
- GC Works 1: Without quantities.
- GC Works 1: With quantities.
- GC Works 1: Single-stage design and build.
- GC Works 1: Model forms and commentary.
- GC Works 1: Two-stage design and build.
- GC Works 1: Construction management trade contract with quantities.
- GC Works 1: Construction management trade contract without quantities.
- GC Works 2: Minor works.
- GC Works 3: Contract for mechanical and electrical engineering works.
- GC Works 4: Contract for building, small works.
In addition, there were a range of supporting documents such as; sub-contracts, forms of tender, invitation to tender, performance bonds, parent company guarantees, retention bonds, notices and certificates.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Contract conditions.
- Government departments responsibility for construction.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Minor works contract.
- Procurement route.
 External references
- Fenwick Elliot: Know your contract. November 2009.
Featured articles and news
Delivering an infrastructure revolution.
The admissibility of evidence.
How many can you name? 37 anyone?
CIOB respond to the points-based system.
When is the weather considered 'exceptionally adverse'?
ECA backs call for a rolling programme of rail electrification.
What does 'curtilage' mean and why does it matter?
Our duty to prevent harm and protect each other.
A quality perspective.
If buildings were people, they would be just starting to walk on two legs.
Air filtration and clean air standards.