- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Mar 2020
Failure of cast iron beams
Many buildings utilising cast iron (CI) continue to give good service with adequate reliability when used in a risk assessed manner and current best practice documents. As is normal with this type of beam, there is rarely any apparent warning of imminent collapse.
- Additional loading on a CI beam, typically arising from further deadweight added since original completion. The unregulated increase of load on a structure should always be a matter of concern.
- Long-standing ingress of water leading to corrosion, deterioration of the concrete infill, and loss of any composite action. Extended basements or roof garden arrangements are particularly prone to this action.
- The beams working at high levels of stress as originally installed. This is more likely in a domestic structure where the beam may have been sized by rule of thumb.
Professionals working in this field, or with clients responsible for property of this type and era, should be aware of these issues and be ready to advise the relevant parties of the need for a structural risk assessment if the identified conditions exist.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Brittle fracture.
- Cast iron.
- Conservation of Architectural Ironwork.
- Defects in construction.
- Degradation of construction materials.
- Failure of metals.
- Flat roof defects.
- Roofing defects.
- Structural failures.
- Structural steelwork.
- Weathering steel.
Featured articles and news
How can these valued spaces be reused?
Partnership avoids the need for listed building consent.
Connecting building design from inception to completion to operations.
Gregor Harvie predicts interoperability will be construction’s Uber moment.
Expert commentary and insight.
Guidance offered for stained glass window maintenance.
Define need before determining viability.
Framework examines social value of projects.
RfX or Request for [fill in the blank].
Organisation establishes Equality, Diversity, Inclusion taskforce.
Government announces plans for new building projects.
Outsourcing method to procure and manage supplies.
Joint support of Local Authority Historic Environment and Conservation Services.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is an outstanding achievement.
Buildings of the interwar years. Book review.