- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Apr 2019
Earthships in Europe
This 184-page book provides a detailed description and evaluation of ‘earthships’, an American architectural concept pioneered in the New Mexico desert. Earthships suggest that people can be both more financially free and more socially responsible.
The main purpose of the book is to assess whether the translation of earthships to a European setting has been successful. It includes case studies of people who have built earthships in France, Spain and Britain and a round-up of other projects. It also includes analysis of detailed monitoring of an earthship. This analysis is used to make a series of design recommendations to help make earthships more effective in different climatic conditions.
Its contents includes:
- What is an Earthship?
- Construction methods.
- Building with waste.
- Renewable energy and power systems.
- European builds.
- Passive solar design and monitored thermal performance.
- Conclusion: the future of earthships in Europe.
- Appendix 1. Earthship Brighton sensor summary.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 100 Sustainable Scottish Buildings.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Carbon ratings for buildings.
- Cob building.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Do green buildings pay?
- Earth building.
- Home quality mark.
- Sustainable building.
- Zero Bills Home.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
Technology informs procurement and planning practices.
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?