- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 29 Apr 2019
Earthships in Europe
This 184-page book provides a detailed description and evaluation of ‘earthships’, an American architectural concept pioneered in the New Mexico desert. Earthships suggest that people can be both more financially free and more socially responsible.
The main purpose of the book is to assess whether the translation of earthships to a European setting has been successful. It includes case studies of people who have built earthships in France, Spain and Britain and a round-up of other projects. It also includes analysis of detailed monitoring of an earthship. This analysis is used to make a series of design recommendations to help make earthships more effective in different climatic conditions.
Its contents includes:
- What is an Earthship?
- Construction methods.
- Building with waste.
- Renewable energy and power systems.
- European builds.
- Passive solar design and monitored thermal performance.
- Conclusion: the future of earthships in Europe.
- Appendix 1. Earthship Brighton sensor summary.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 100 Sustainable Scottish Buildings.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BRE Buzz.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Carbon ratings for buildings.
- Cob building.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Do green buildings pay?
- Earth building.
- Home quality mark.
- Sustainable building.
- Zero Bills Home.
- Zero carbon homes.
- Zero carbon non-domestic buildings.
Featured articles and news
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.