- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 22 Sep 2020
Design management plan
- Design responsibility matrix.
- Schedules of drawings to be produced by each discipline/specialist.
- Design programme, including key dates for reviews and information exchanges.
- Schedules of information required/release dates.
- The size and format of drawing types.
- Procedures for CAD / BIM (see BIM execution plan).
- Estimates of staff hours to be spent by designers on each element or drawing.
- Monitoring of design resources expended compared to planned estimates.
- Initiating procedures for design changes.
- Requirements for collateral warranties.
- Incorporation within the design schedule of key dates for review of design performance to check:
- Compliance with brief.
- Cost acceptance.
- Value engineering analysis.
- Health and safety issues.
- Completeness for tender.
The project manager, may use the agreed design management plan as a basis for monitoring and controlling the design process. However, integration of the work of consultant and specialists lies with the lead designer. For certain elements of the project, different leads may be nominated, however, these roles will always come under the direction of the lead designer for co-ordination.
The text in this article is based on an extract from PROJECT MANAGEMENT, by Eric Stokes and Saleem Akram. The original manual was published in 2008. It was developed within the scope of the LdV program, project number: 2009-1-PL1-LEO05-05016 entitled “Common Learning Outcomes for European Managers in Construction”. It is reproduced here in a slightly modified form with the kind permission of the Chartered Institute of Building.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.