- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Nov 2020
CDM 2007 client
The text below relates to the superseded 2007 CDM regulations and is provided as a historical reference.
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM Regulations) are intended to ensure that health and safety issues are properly considered during a project’s development so that the risk of harm to those who have to build, use and maintain structures is reduced.
They were introduced in 1994 and came into force on 31 March 1995 following publication of European Directive 92/57/EEC on minimum safety and health standards for temporary or mobile construction sites. They were substantially revised in 2007.
- Taking reasonable steps to make sure arrangements for managing the project by duty holders are suitable to ensure:
- Construction work can be carried out so far as is reasonably practicable without risk to the health and safety.
- Suitable welfare facilities are provided for any person carrying out the construction work.
- Any structure designed for use as a workplace has been designed taking into account the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 (the design of, and materials used in, the structure).
- Promptly providing pre-construction information to every person designing the structure and every contractor who has been or may be appointed by the client.
- Appoint a CDM co-ordinator.
- Appoint a principal contractor.
- Ensure construction work does not start unless a construction phase plan is in place.
- Ensure construction work does not start unless there are adequate welfare facilities on site.
- Provide information relating to the health and safety file to the CDM co-ordinator.
- Retain and provide access to the health and safety file.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- CDM 2015
- CDM co-ordinator.
- CDM for self-builders and domestic clients.
- CDM regulations duties of clients.
- CDM regulations duties of contractors.
- CDM regulations duties of designers.
- CDM regulations duties of workers.
- Construction phase plan.
- Domestic client.
- Health and safety file.
- Notify HSE.
- Pre construction information.
- Principal contractor.
Featured articles and news
A brief description of time in the sun.
Given by ICE President Ed McCann.
Two new research reports published by APM.
50% off APM Associate membership for Designing Buildings users.
A commentary from the insurance perspective.
In brief with further links.
A definitive book on a pioneer of green architecture.
Using heritage as a catalyst for reviving historic centres.
Declaration prioritising sustainable urbanisation adopted.
Some brief words about the actuator.
After 34 years at the Institute.
To support the next generation of engineers.
CIAT reporting from the Competition and Markets Authority.
Making sustainable construction number one priority.
Interview with ECA CEO.
Many provisions came into force on June 28, 2022.
With room to expand.
Refurbishment, Energy Efficiency, Indoor air and process.
Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP) is one example.
Write about something you know, help us build and grow !