- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 07 Jan 2021
BRE Building Elements series (AP 243)
BRE’s Building Elements series (AP 243) provides a comprehensive range of information about the main elements of a building: roofs, floors, walls, services and foundations. Each book in the series provides expert help for those involved in the maintenance, repair, refurbishment or renewal of buildings. They include more than 1,500 pages of extensively-illustrated practical details, descriptions and best practice advice, creating an essential reference tool for building professionals.
- Roofs and roofing (BR 504) covers the materials, production methods and criteria used in the construction of a roof as well as the practical details of maintaining roofs.
- Floors and flooring (BR 460) Provides guidance on all floors - including screeds and underlays, as well as a range of finishes.
- Walls, windows & doors (BR 352) provides practical guidance on the vertical elements of buildings, both external and internal: including separating walls, partitions and internal doors and outlines the performances and deficiencies of each.
- Building services (BR 404) provides the latest best practice advice on heating, artificial lighting, refuse disposal and other services, which make buildings habitable.
- Foundations, basements and external works (BR 440) provides building professionals with practical details about those parts of buildings in direct contact with the ground.
- Understanding dampness (BR 466) lists the causes of dampness, explores its effects and explains remedial measures.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Improving facilities, accessibility and overall appearance.
Free download of TG 12/2021 available.
TESP works with The Youth Group to form skill sharing network.
Big tech collaborates on platform for the built environment.
Letter signed by 21 organisations sent to MHCLG.
A look at the Government's strategic approach.
Steps to help reduce the spread of infection inside buildings.
This social media-centred hobby can be both dangerous and illegal.
Millwork wall treatment with a long and illustrious history.
HSE introduces cumulative exposure calculator.
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Click the button to subscribe.