- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Nov 2020
BES 6001 Responsible sourcing of construction products
The construction industry is a major consumer of resources and has a significant impact on the sustainability of the UK and the wider world. The responsible procurement of products used in the construction industry is a key part of the global drive for sustainable development.
BES 6001 Framework standard for responsible sourcing is a BRE environmental and sustainability standard. BRE is an independent, research-based consultancy, testing and training organisation, operating in the built environment and associated industries.
BES 6001 issue 3 was published in 2014. It enables manufacturers of construction products to ensure, and then to prove, that their products have been made from materials that have been responsibly sourced. Guidance is provided for the organisation’s management, supply chain management and the environmental and social aspects that need to be addressed to ensure responsible procurement.
Third party assessment and certification undertaken against the requirements of BES 6001 provide organisations with the ability to demonstrate their commitment to the responsible sourcing of products.
BES 6001 is applicable to any material, product or product group. In some cases construction product sectors use the BES 6001 scheme as a framework to develop their own sector schemes, compliant with and equivalent to BES 6001. It can also be relevant to retailers who sell construction products.
In order to achieve the standard, an organisation must meet certain compulsory requirements. It is also possible to obtain a higher level of compliance which can result in a higher performance rating.
The key benefits of accreditation to BES 6001 are:
- The ability to demonstrate that an organisation's products are responsibly sourced.
- It allows a more informed decision when choosing suppliers.
- The overall social and environmental performance of an organisation is improved.
- It provides a route to obtaining credits under the BREEAM family of certification schemes.
Once certified, products are listed in the BRE Global on-line service Green Book Live enabling specifiers to compare and select those products and materials with the most responsible sourcing performance.
BES 6001 certificates last three years. However, at the end of each year the certificate must pass a verification process to check that essential features of the original certification are being maintained.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- A traceability framework for the construction supply chain.
- BRE articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- BREEAM recognised responsible sourcing certification schemes.
- BREEAM Responsible Sourcing of Materials.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Chain of custody.
- Circular economy.
- Code for sustainable homes.
- Construction Products Regulation.
- Cradle to cradle product registry system.
- Flooring group launches product transparency declaration.
- Life cycle assessment.
- Point of supply.
- Responsible sourcing of construction products.
- Sustainable materials.
Featured articles and news
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.
The benefits of glowing aggregates and cement.
Urgent need for open communication to address mental health issues.
Guidance offered on COVID-19 green recovery, building safety and more.
Providing strength and support above the joists.
Enforcer will test and investigate product safety.