- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 03 Jun 2021
A 10 point plan to overcome the construction and infrastructure skills gap
On 28 November 2016, contractor Laing O’Rourke published 'A 10-point plan to overcome the UK's construction and infrastructure skills gap.'
The report suggests that: 'The skills gap is one of the biggest challenges facing the construction and infrastructure sector. However, too much of the focus to date has been on analysing the underlying problems of the skills gap with insufficient emphasis on the solutions necessary to bridge it. ...[Laing O'Rourke's] direct employment model is mutually reinforcing: our employees enjoy continuity of work, benefits and investment in their ongoing development and we benefit from an engaged and retained workforce. This model and culture is focussed, sustainable and long-term.'
- Flex the government’s planned Apprenticeship Levy and reduce delays to approval of ‘Trailblazer Apprenticeship’ standards.
- Create regionally-focused skills pipelines.
- Increase the availability of Russell Group university standard part-time degree apprenticeships.
- Review options for career-transitioning apprenticeships.
- Introduce GCSEs and A-levels in design, engineering and construction (DEC) disciplines.
- Foster collaboration between industry and government to deliver a broader range of improved careers advice for construction and engineering.
- Commit the industry to measurable improvements in diversity.
- Seize the opportunity presented by the creation of the new Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
- Support the creation of a single construction and infrastructure skills body - merging the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) with the Engineering Construction Training Board.
- Facilitate the ongoing professional development of a directly employed workforce.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3 ways the world’s fastest growing economies can close the infrastructure gap.
- Achieving carbon targets and bridging the skills gap.
- Apprenticeships levy.
- Boardroom to building site skills gap survey.
- Construction apprenticeships.
- Construction Industry Training Board CITB.
- National Infrastructure Plan for Skills.
- Queen's Speech 2021.
- Recommendations for implementation of the National Retrofit Strategy.
- Tackling the construction skills shortage.
- The real deal - at last?
Featured articles and news
Incorporating EDI into the provision of fair access.
Government announces global innovation strategy.
An architectural biography. Book review.
The house where the future king of France lived.
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.