- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 10 Jan 2018
ACA Standard Form of Agreement for the Appointment of an Architect. ACA SFA 2012
“This update of the popular contract between client and architect meets the need for a fair and balanced Standard Form of Agreement following the demise of SFA/99″ Brian Waters – ACA Immediate Past President
This contract closely follows it’s predecessor SFA/99, which has served both architects and clients well since its inception as SFA/92. It has been updated to include the HGCRA and Bribery Act amendments and is suitable for the full range of comercial and consumer projects and includes model letters for each kind of project to assist architects and their clients to come to a fair agreement on contract terms.
- maintains the same balance of rights and responsibilities between architect and client as the previous editions, SFA/99 and ID/05.
- all terms are fully insured by standard professional indemnity insurance policies.
- contains a ‘no set-off’ clause as in SFA/92, SFA/99 and ID/05. (This term is vital for enforcing payment against unreasonable clients.)
- provides for an 8% over base rate charge for unpaid accounts, as set out in legislation (the Late Payment of Commercial Debts Order 2002), just as in SFA/99.
- allows an architect to resign a commission. (This has always been a valuable clause for architects, particularly when an awkward client may make it impractical for the architect to continue, possibly because of a moral issue when it may not be easy to identify a specific breach of contract.)
- includes no provision for a client to require the removal of a member of the architect’s staff (which could include a partner or a director) from a project.
- includes an optional, tear-out form of Collateral Warranty and removeable notes with model letters
- special terms are provided for, as is the opportunity for attachments to provide for additional documents (e.g.brief, survey, etc) to form part of the contract.
- incorporates the RIBA Plan of Work 2007.
- is not gender specific.
- the ACA Form has been amended to cover the new Construction Act and Bribery Act requirements.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Can you help? We have 300 industry acronyms beginning with 'C' but none beginning with 'Y'.
From the sinister Carceri d’Invenzione to the triple portrait of Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn and his Grand Tour travelling companions.
BSRIA launch the 5th edition of the Design Framework for Building Services (BG 6/2018).
Stella Rimmington famously said the construction industry was just as tricky as the KGB.
Construction site visitor cards are to be withdrawn.
3 WTC opens, RSHP’s first built project in New York.
We have a lots of articles about lifts - this introduction is a good place to start.
BREEAM ES and SIMA present for the first time a reproduction of a sustainable home.
How's that for customer satisfaction? The results of our user survey are in.
One of the most significant barriers to realising true value from digital transformation.
A great reference text for dipping into, and an absorbing read.