- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 31 Mar 2021
- From central heating with hot water cylinder: the central heating provides hot water for space heating while also providing hot water via a separate storage cylinder.
- From central heating (no hot water cylinder): the central heating provides hot water for space heating and can provide hot water on demand negating the need for a storage cylinder, therefore requiring less space.
- Immersion heater: an electric element heats water in a storage cylinder, used solely for hot water (not for central heating).
- Instantaneous: hot water heated as needed by an appliance (not a boiler) fuelled by for example gas or electricity.
- Dedicated boiler: hot water supplied from a boiler only used for hot water (not central heating).
Ref English Housing Survey, Energy efficiency, 2018-19, published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government in July 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Medieval passageways with spiritual, transport and economic purposes.
Organisation receives accreditation from Investors in People.
Click the button to subscribe.
Communicating the right information at the right time.
Materials can take on different properties to control heat and glare.
Challenges in the construction sector and beyond.
Exploring brick and timber construction techniques.
On wheels or on platforms, micro dwellings are popping up everywhere.
Landlords must now comply with new repair regulations.
You can add articles and help improve knowledge in the construction industry.
Ayo Sokale explains the struggles of being neurodiverse.
Communities, heritage and architecture. Book review.
The voluntary sector continues to shape the debate.