- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 Aug 2020
- From central heating with hot water cylinder: the central heating provides hot water for space heating while also providing hot water via a separate storage cylinder.
- From central heating (no hot water cylinder): the central heating provides hot water for space heating and can provide hot water on demand negating the need for a storage cylinder, therefore requiring less space.
- Immersion heater: an electric element heats water in a storage cylinder, used solely for hot water (not for central heating).
- Instantaneous: hot water heated as needed by an appliance (not a boiler) fuelled by for example gas or electricity.
- Dedicated boiler: hot water supplied from a boiler only used for hot water (not central heating).
Ref English Housing Survey, Energy efficiency, 2018-19, published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government in July 2020.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
CIOB, NFCC, RIBA, RICS call for changes ahead of Building Safety Bill.
Developments in the Future Homes Standard.
An American chimney feature with a colourful past.
Homes based on need, not ability to pay.
Historic England adds 216 entries to the 'at risk' register.
Will cycling and walking provisions be preserved?
Assembly point levels range from relative to ultimate.
Signs are pointing to a recovery for the construction industry.
Campaigning to change perceptions about American Brutalism.
Sprinkler head configurations can prioritise people or property.
Report from The Carbon Project reveals shortcomings and recommendations.
Advice on how to join the electrotechnical profession.
BREEAM Building Back Better briefing paper provides initial guidance.