- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 08 Jun 2022
Types of blinds
Blinds are a type of window covering. There are many different types, but they typically incorporate individual pieces of fabric, timber or plastic (louvres or slats) hung vertical or horizontal which can be opened or closed to control privacy and light levels.
Some of the most common types of blinds include:
- Vertical: Vertical lengths of material, usually fabric, that can be controlled with a sidewinder and cord or a long, thin plastic device called a 'wand'.
- Roman: Horizontal lengths of fabric folds that open and close by stacking up and down. There may be a plastic hook (cleat) around which the cord can be tied when the blinds are opened.
- Roller: A roll of fabric which wraps around a tube at the top of the window, usually with a sidewinder to roll the fabric up or down.
- Venetian: Horizontal lengths of metal, timber or plastic slats which are tilted to open or close. A cord can also be used to lift and lower the slats.
- Pleated: Folds of fabric that concertina upwards, with a cord as control device.
- Perfect fit: This type of blind fits in the frame between the beading and glazing of a window. A tab operation is used to open and close.
- Skylight: Comprises a single layer of fabric that fits within a frame, with a tab operation to open and close.
- Shutters: Timber louvred panels positioned within a frame with a wand to control.
Featured articles and news
Advancing sustainable and regenerative project management.
Promised to be pragmatic and practical guidance.
Whilst replacement maybe preferred, its not always possible.
Dealing with draughts and reducing heat loss.
Managing Partner at Onyx and third gen project manager.
Expectation types, management and performance gaps.
Appointments, re-appointments and six changes a year.
New ways to manage the housing crisis.
Consortium seeks signatories for open letter by February 29.
Meaning, understanding and implementation.
From climate to cost to cold bridges and design flexibility.
In a changing world at the APM PM SIG conference.
The glass product that opened up new possibilities.
Campaigning for buildings of all periods.
Get to know the new requirements and the new terms.
The ultimate companion for building services excellence.