Last edited 14 Dec 2020

Types of blinds

Roman blinds.JPG
Roman blinds

Blinds are a type of window covering. There are many different types, but they typically incorporate individual pieces of fabric, timber or plastic (louvres or slats) hung vertical or horizontal which can be opened or closed to control privacy and light levels.

Blinds can be either ready-made (manufactured to standard sizes and cut to fit windows), or made-to-measure (manufactured and cut to bespoke window size).

Some of the most common types of blinds include:

  • Vertical: Vertical lengths of material, usually fabric, that can be controlled with a sidewinder and cord or a long, thin plastic device called a 'wand'.
  • Roman: Horizontal lengths of fabric folds that open and close by stacking up and down. There may be a plastic hook (cleat) around which the cord can be tied when the blinds are opened.
  • Roller: A roll of fabric which wraps around a tube at the top of the window, usually with a sidewinder to roll the fabric up or down.
  • Venetian: Horizontal lengths of metal, timber or plastic slats which are tilted to open or close. A cord can also be used to lift and lower the slats.
  • Pleated: Folds of fabric that concertina upwards, with a cord as control device.
  • Perfect fit: This type of blind fits in the frame between the beading and glazing of a window. A tab operation is used to open and close.
  • Skylight: Comprises a single layer of fabric that fits within a frame, with a tab operation to open and close.
  • Shutters: Timber louvred panels positioned within a frame with a wand to control.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki


Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again