- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 12 Apr 2018
Sound v noise
The government defines three levels of noise:
- No observed effect level – the level of noise exposure where there is no effect on health or the quality of life.
- Lowest observed effect level – adverse effects on health and the quality of life can be detected.
- Significant observed adverse effect level – the level of noise exposure where there can be significant effects on health and quality of life.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Agent of change.
- Airborne sound.
- Approved Document E.
- Ash deafening.
- Building acoustics.
- Building Bulletin 93: acoustic design of schools.
- Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005.
- Deed of easement.
- Environmental impact assessment.
- Flanking sound.
- Noise nuisance.
- Planning condition.
- Impact sound.
- Intruder alarm.
- Reverberation time.
- Robust details certification scheme.
- Sound absorption.
- Sound frequency.
- Sound insulation.
- Sound reduction index (SRI).
- Structure-borne sound.
Featured articles and news
This article examines the changing policy commitments and evolving definitions of the zero carbon home.
Researchers believe they may have created a 'game-changing' new form of concrete using graphene.
Grouting refers to the injection of materials into a soil or rock formation to change its physical characteristics.
Part of Designing Buildings Wiki, BREEAM Wiki will advance knowledge sharing for the BRE family of sustainability tools.
From the decorative to the utilitarian, and from the photographed to the forgotten.
New BRE book considers the progression from project-based knowledge creation to whole-life urban knowledge management.
This CIOB article explores the concept of value in building design and construction.
BREEAM and Measurabl announce integration to improve the financial performance of commercial real estate.
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners' release new images of soon-to-open 3WTC tower in New York.
A document can be called a bond or a guarantee. Does the name matter and what is the difference between them?
New briefing note is launched focusing on increasing knowledge of housing that promotes health and wellbeing.
Arbitration is a private, contractual form of dispute resolution used in the construction industry.