- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 26 Nov 2020
Construction activities can have an adverse effect on soils and so its impacts need careful consideration as part of the development process. Local authorities may require a soil report as part of the planning application process.
A soil report is generally prepared by geotechnical engineers or civil engineers following a soil survey. It should provide an indication as to whether the site is suitable for the proposed construction, i.e. whether the soil and geological conditions will be able to provide the required support and stability. Consideration of the allowable soil bearing pressure and the possibilities of settlement is of particular importance.
Some of the details that should be included in a soil report are:
- Classification of the various types of soil encountered and a description of the characteristics.
- A discussion of the potential for re-use of soils on site.
- Recommendations for the handling and storage of soils on site.
- Maps showing the locations of soils on site.
- The geological history of the area.
- Details of the sampling (e.g. borehole location, depth, soils encountered at each level).
- Groundwater conditions.
- Bearing capacity of the soil.
- Chemical composition of the soil.
- Seismic conditions prevalent in the area, if appropriate.
- Recommendations for foundation design.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
Fropm practice to research and the business of materials.
Terms, histories, theories and practices.
Alteration and everything else before demolition.