- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 19 Dec 2020
Simple payback for energy savings
The amount of time it will take to recover an initial investment through energy savings, calculated by dividing the marginal additional cost of implementing an energy efficiency measure by the value of the annual energy savings achieved by that measure taking no account of VAT.
When making this calculation, the following guidance should be used:
- The marginal additional cost is the additional cost (materials and labour) of incorporating, for example, additional insulation, not the whole cost of the work.
- The cost of implementing the measure should be based on prices current at the date the proposals are made known to the building control body (BCB) and be confirmed in a report signed by a suitably qualified person.
- The annual energy savings should be estimated using an energy calculation tool approved by the Secretary of State pursuant to regulation 24.
- For the purposes of the approved document, the energy prices that are current at the time of the application to building control should be used when evaluating the annual energy savings. Current energy prices can be obtained from the Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC) website.
Typically, an initial investment, in for example the achievement of U-values, will be considered economically feasilbe if the simple payback period is not greater than 15 years. However, other periods may be considered economically feasible for other elements.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.