- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Security consultant for buildings
A security consultant can act as an adviser for a building owner, occupant or property developer in relation to the design and incorporation of the security solutions. Clients typically require security consultants to advise on potential security threats and potential breaches, and to create contingency protocols to safeguard their organisation or assets.
Security consultants will have specialist training and experience, and can either work independently, or as part of a multi-disciplinary team alongside, for example, IT consultants and other security experts. They should be independent from companies that manufacture and market security services/products.
- Protection strategies for IT, data and other communications networks.
- Developing contingency plans.
- Briefing on current or emerging security risks.
- Liaising with security and emergency services.
- Advising on global security situations.
- Vulnerability testing, risk analyses and security assessments.
- Developing security strategies.
- Cost estimating for security strategy implementation.
- Supervising or providing technical guidance for security teams.
- Respond to security breaches.
- Providing post-breach analysis.
- Upgrade of security systems.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Commercial security systems.
- Consultant team.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system.
- Security and the built environment.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
Featured articles and news
Check out our list of the 90 most unusual buildings of all time.
The government is to set a personal consumption target to reduce water use.
BSRIA calls for more education to promote fuels that are fit to burn.
Michael Gove admits air pollution is making people ill and shortening lives.
BRE call for a clearer, focused drive for the delivery of sustainable, quality developments.
Proposals for a 140m high observation wheel next to the Tyne.
Consistently one of our most popular articles - so just how much do you know about BoQ's?
Significant updates encourage whole building life cycle assessment and recognise products with Environmental Product Declarations.
Gustavo Giovannoni’s role in integrating modern planning requirements into historic town centres.
Desipite Hackitt's recommendations, the government are to consult on combustible cladding.