- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Security consultant for buildings
A security consultant can act as an adviser for a building owner, occupant or property developer in relation to the design and incorporation of the security solutions. Clients typically require security consultants to advise on potential security threats and potential breaches, and to create contingency protocols to safeguard their organisation or assets.
Security consultants will have specialist training and experience, and can either work independently, or as part of a multi-disciplinary team alongside, for example, IT consultants and other security experts. They should be independent from companies that manufacture and market security services/products.
- Protection strategies for IT, data and other communications networks.
- Developing contingency plans.
- Briefing on current or emerging security risks.
- Liaising with security and emergency services.
- Advising on global security situations.
- Vulnerability testing, risk analyses and security assessments.
- Developing security strategies.
- Cost estimating for security strategy implementation.
- Supervising or providing technical guidance for security teams.
- Respond to security breaches.
- Providing post-breach analysis.
- Upgrade of security systems.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Commercial security systems.
- Consultant team.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system.
- Security and the built environment.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
Featured articles and news
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.
Traditional low-energy approaches to comfort.
Revisiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet in Ashford.
USA In-Use Version 6 is now available.
The rise of architectural barbarism.
In contentious political contexts heritage can be more fractious.