- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 15 Feb 2018
Security consultant for buildings
A security consultant can act as an adviser for a building owner, occupant or property developer in relation to the design and incorporation of the security solutions. Clients typically require security consultants to advise on potential security threats and potential breaches, and to create contingency protocols to safeguard their organisation or assets.
Security consultants will have specialist training and experience, and can either work independently, or as part of a multi-disciplinary team alongside, for example, IT consultants and other security experts. They should be independent from companies that manufacture and market security services/products.
- Protection strategies for IT, data and other communications networks.
- Developing contingency plans.
- Briefing on current or emerging security risks.
- Liaising with security and emergency services.
- Advising on global security situations.
- Vulnerability testing, risk analyses and security assessments.
- Developing security strategies.
- Cost estimating for security strategy implementation.
- Supervising or providing technical guidance for security teams.
- Respond to security breaches.
- Providing post-breach analysis.
- Upgrade of security systems.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Appointing consultants.
- Commercial security systems.
- Consultant team.
- Cyber security and engineering.
- Cyber threats to building automation and control systems.
- Embedded security: Procuring an effective facility protective security system.
- Security and the built environment.
- Suitably Qualified Security Specialist.
Featured articles and news
Conservation in the heritage cities of Venice and Liverpool.
Which room is the most fun to design? Find out the 'Grand Designs' presenter's unusual choice in our interview.
Full suite of speakers are announced for this year's BSRIA Briefing event.
Book your place for the Architectural Technology Awards 2018.
There are many ways of classifying types of building. Have a look at our range of building articles.
BSRIA have launched the 'major update' of the go-to design framework guide for building services.
How to get results with building life cycle assessment.
Government publishes a prospectus inviting proposals for new 'garden communities'.
The Morandi motorway bridge in Genoa collapses during rainstorm while undergoing maintenance works.
'Developed design' is a phrase coined by the RIBA for their 2013 Plan of Work. But what does it actually mean?
New green paper published aiming to rebalance the relationship between landlords and residents and tackle stigma.