Last edited 02 Dec 2020

Section 171 of the Highways Act

Section 171 of the Highways Act 1980 allows for persons to temporarily deposit building materials or other items in a street, or to make a temporary excavation, as long as they have the consent of the relevant highway authority.

If consent is refused, the person is entitled to appeal to a magistrate’s court.

The person making the deposit or excavation must comply with the directions provided by the highway authority. This can relate to the erection of traffic signs, fencing, proper lighting, and so on. If the highway authority, or relevant local authority, require it, the person must remove the obstructing items or fill in the excavation.

If the conditions are not adhered to, the person will be liable to imposed fines.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again