- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 24 Dec 2020
Start-up technology companies are seeking to challenge the construction, real estate, and property management sectors, and the proliferation of mobile technology has drastically changed consumer behaviour, creating a culture of ‘always online’ users.
In conjunction with this move towards technology, the term PropTech was introduced in the 1990s during the tech bubble. It is derived from the words ‘property’ and ‘technology’ and is used to describe emerging start-up technology companies that are influencing and disrupting the property market.
PropTech is relatively well established in the real estate lexicon and is generally considered the umbrella concept for the terms associated with tech and other aspects of property management and construction. Initially, PropTech referred to buying, renting, selling, managing, designing and constructing residential and commercial properties. Now it is primarily associated with pre-construction activities (such as property sales and leasing issues) along with post-construction tasks (such as operations and maintenance).
- FinTech - a fairly universal term associated with finance and technology.
- RealTech - commonly used in the United States to cover real estate technology.
- CREtech - commercial real estate technology.
- Real EsTech - a European concept associated with entrepreneurial, start-up real estate technology.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building data exchange.
- How technology is changing the real estate industry.
- How we should regulate the real estate industry.
- Industry Disruption: 10 ways real estate is changing.
- Information and communications technology in construction.
- Real estate - going from villain to hero.
Featured articles and news
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.