- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Mar 2020
Post project review of construction projects
A post project review may begin during the defects liability period, when the client first occupies the development (now called the 'rectification period' in Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) contracts).
A post project review is undertaken to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of the project delivery process. To undertake a post project review, it is important to seek the views of contractors, designers, suppliers and the client about how well the project was managed.
- The quality of briefing documents.
- The effectiveness of communications.
- The performance of the entire project team.
- Quality issues.
- Health and safety issues.
- Claims and disputes.
- Collaborative practices.
An evaluation can then be made of what lessons can be learned from the approach taken and a lessons learned report prepared.
A wider 'post occupancy evaluation' may comprise two studies:
- A post project review to evaluate the project delivery process.
- An assessment of performance in use, to assess the extent to which business and design objectives have been satisfied, which may not begin until 6 to 12 months after occupation, as operations may not be properly established before then.
NB When the development is first occupied by the client, it is important to visit the site immediately to identify any issues that need to be addressed quickly. It can be beneficial to establish a help-desk and rapid response team to resolve issues as they arise (See articles on occupation and migration strategy).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building performance metrics.
- Defects liability period.
- End of contract report.
- Energy performance certificates.
- Extended aftercare.
- Initial aftercare.
- OGC Gateway Review 5: Operations review & benefits realisation (or benefits evaluation)
- Migration strategy.
- Performance in use.
- Performance of exemplar buildings in use: Bridging the performance gap FB 78.
- Post occupancy evaluation (repeats some of the text in this article).
- Post opening project evaluation.
- Soft landings.
- Value added.
Featured articles and news
Radiant wall heating method to control rising damp.
What future infrastructure provision might look like.
Highlighting the health benefits of home improvement.
Pavilions for music, entertainment, and leisure. Book review.
Broadening our understanding of Dublin’s chequered social history.
The charm of London's Cabmen's shelters.
Future Weather Files research tool looking for feedback.
Exploring the Colour Rendering Index.
Why it's important to find out what went wrong.
ECA reviews the shape of the construction job market.
Why proper room acoustics make a difference.
Initiative puts gas networks on the path to net zero.
WICE Woman Architectural Technologist of the Year 2019.
Traditional low-energy approaches to comfort.
Revisiting the McArthurGlen Designer Outlet in Ashford.
USA In-Use Version 6 is now available.
The rise of architectural barbarism.