- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 18 May 2018
Management structure for construction clients
A management structure might:
- Identify a project director (senior responsible owner in the public sector).
- Identify a project sponsor and/or project manager (the client's interface between the client team and the supply team (consultants, contractors and suppliers).
- Identify champions (often heads of departments).
- Identify user panels.
- Identify stakeholders and external interested parties.
- identify the need to appoint a consultant team and/or independent client advisers.
- Establish control and governance.
- Define financial limits of delegated authority.
- Define an organisational structure (including external consultants).
- Allocate delegated responsibilities, constraints and reporting structure.
- Identify external third party dependencies (such as the local authority, heritage groups, building control, legislation, etc.).
- Define reward procedures. For many of those involved, the project will be a ‘parallel activity’ carried out in addition their day job. This means that their individual goals need to be aligned to the project goals, and rewards for individuals need to come out of project success, rather than just be linked to their normal day job. Because of this additional role, they may need extra support and guidance to help them to focus on the key issues and to make best use of their time.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business case.
- Collaborative practices.
- Consultant team.
- Independent client advisers.
- Integrated project team.
- Office manual.
- Project manager.
- Project sponsor.
- Senior Responsible Owner.
- Succession planning.
- Third party dependencies.
- User panels.
 External references
Featured articles and news
When is there a right to light, and what happens if it is obstructed?
What would the nationalisation of economic infrastructure mean for GB?
A new guide to improving value by reducing design error.
We've reached 80,000 page views a day and 10,000 registered users. Why not join them?
A masterplan is a framework within which a location is encouraged to develop or change. Read our introductory article.
New consultation announced on a specialist Housing Court to settle landlord-tenant disputes.
ICE responds to a transport consultation advising the government to make decisions enabling more inclusive cities.
BRE and Loughborough University complete first phase refurbishment of demonstration home.
How the risk of collapse of fibrous plaster ceilings is being addressed in theatres.
If you’re a great writer and have practical experience of the construction industry, it could be you.
Frustrated by long documents or technical jargon? Put off by sign-up forms or costs? Take this 5 min survey to help improve construction knowledge.