- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 31 Oct 2019
Management structure for construction clients
A management structure might:
- Identify a project director (senior responsible owner in the public sector).
- Identify a project sponsor and/or project manager (the client's interface between the client team and the supply team (consultants, contractors and suppliers).
- Identify champions (often heads of departments).
- Identify user panels.
- Identify stakeholders and external interested parties.
- identify the need to appoint a consultant team and/or independent client advisers.
- Establish control and governance.
- Define financial limits of delegated authority.
- Define an organisational structure (including external consultants).
- Allocate delegated responsibilities, constraints and reporting structure.
- Identify external third party dependencies (such as the local authority, heritage groups, building control, legislation, etc.).
- Define reward procedures. For many of those involved, the project will be a ‘parallel activity’ carried out in addition their day job. This means that their individual goals need to be aligned to the project goals, and rewards for individuals need to come out of project success, rather than just be linked to their normal day job. Because of this additional role, they may need extra support and guidance to help them to focus on the key issues and to make best use of their time.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Business case.
- Collaborative practices.
- Consultant team.
- Independent client advisers.
- Integrated project team.
- Office manual.
- Project manager.
- Project sponsor.
- Senior Responsible Owner.
- Succession planning.
- Third party dependencies.
- User panels.
 External references
Featured articles and news
A guide to daylight design for commercial buildings.
Smart mapping approaches for building better infrastructure.
The importance of emergency planning.
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.