Legal and sustainable timber
BREEAM UK New Construction, Non-domestic Buildings (United Kingdom), Technical Manual, SD5078: BREEAM UK New Construction 2018 3.0, published by BRE Global Limited, suggests that in relation to legal and sustainable timber:
'BREEAM follows the UK government's definition of legal and sustainable timber, as outlined in the Central Point of Timber (CPET) 5th Edition of the UK Government Timber Procurement Policy (TPP). At the time of writing, the policy requires all timber and wood-based products to be covered by at least one of the following (but the webpage below should be checked for changes):
- Third party, independent forest certification schemes–Category A (e.g. FSC or PEFC).
- Evidence on a case-by-case basis in line with the Framework for Evaluating Category B evidence–Category B.
For the avoidance of doubt, 100% of the timber and timber-based products must be compliant. Further information on the UK Government's TPP and compliant responsible sourcing certification schemes is available from the CPET website. Reused timber formwork automatically complies. Reusable timber formwork itself does not automatically comply. All timber used in the manufacturing of the formwork must be covered by a responsible sourcing certification scheme (RSCS) recognised by BREEAM. See Guidance Note 18 for the BREEAM recognised RSCS schemes.'
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BRE articles.
- Building Research Establishment.
- Forest Stewardship Council.
- Chain of custody.
- Confederation of Timber Industries.
- European Union Timber Regulation.
- Legally harvested and traded timber.
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification.
- Sustainable timber.
- Sustainably procuring tropical hardwood.
- Whole life carbon assessment of timber.
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Transport assessment and travel plan
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.