- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2020
Invitation to negotiate for PFI
The invitation to negotiate for private finance initiative (PFI) projects is equivalent to the invitation to tender for traditional contracts. It sets out the project particulars and the specific requirements for bids. It may be a development of the information pack if one was issued to potential bidders with pre-qualification questionnaires.
The invitation to negotiate might include:
- Letter of invitation to tender (or invitation to negotiate).
- Instructions to tenderers explaining the tender process.
- Form of tender.
- Form of contract, contract conditions and amendments.
- The timescale for the tender process.
- An explanation of how queries will be dealt with.
- The evaluation process and any evaluation criteria.
- Policy in relation to alternative or non compliant bids.
- Policy for providing feedback to unsuccessful tenderers.
- Draft contract (including the payment mechanism).
- Pre-construction information.
- Site waste management plan.
- An output-based specification describing the clients objectives for the project.
- A description of what is required in response to the invitation to negotiate (including any requirements for method statements)
- A pricing schedule.
NB. Private finance initiative projects are generally tendered after the project brief has been prepared, without the benefit of design. However if a smart PFI route is adopted a concept design will have been prepared and so the invitation to negotiate might include drawings and prescriptive or performance specifications.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
How to write them and what they should include.
Five outstanding aspects of the profession.
The seismic strengthening of historic churches.
Results show guarded optimism and payment concerns.
Noteworthy navigable aqueducts.
Technology is making remote work a reality.
Carefully placed structures add drama to pastoral vistas.
Report provides actions required by 2030 to achieve a zero carbon economy.
What type of cool roof is most suitable?
Active Travel programme prioritises cyclists and pedestrians.
CIAT issues caution for use of new standard.
Industry leaders discuss climate change, the economy and other influences.