Historic environment good practice advice
It was accompanied by a guide to Planning Policy Statement 5: Planning for the Historic Environment: Historic Environment Planning Practice Guide published by Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG) and English Heritage in March 2010. This provided guidance on planning policy in relation to designated and non-designated heritage assets.
The subsequent publication of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) in March 2012 replaced a wide range of previous planning policy statements including PPS5. English Heritage and the Historic Environment Forum began preparing replacement guidance, however, in the meantime, as the intent of the NPPF was considered to be similar to PPS5 and the existing guidance remained relevant, it continued to be used and ‘government endorsed’.
On 11 July 2014, English Heritage published three pieces of draft replacement guidance for consultation. Along with additional technical advice it is intended that these will replace both the 'Planning and the Historic Environment: Historic Environment Planning Practice Guide' and a number of other pieces of English Heritage guidance.
They suggest that the new guidance does not increase or reduce the protection provided to heritage assets, but condenses previous guidance and includes some new provisions, such as Certificates of Lawful Proposed Works which can be used to confirm that planning permission is not required for works to heritage assets.
- Good Practice Advice Note1: The Historic Environment in Local Plans.
- Good Practice Advice Note 2: Managing Significance in Decision-Taking in the Historic Environment.
- Good Practice Advice Note 3: The Setting of Heritage Assets.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Archaeological officer.
- Archaeology and construction.
- Article 4 direction.
- Building Preservation Notice.
- Certificate of immunity.
- Conservation area.
- Conservation officer.
- Designated areas.
- English Heritage.
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013 and listed buildings.
- Historic England.
- Historic Environment Service Provider Recognition.
- Listed buildings.
- Permitted development.
- Planning permission.
- Scheduled monuments.
 External references
- Planning Policy Statement 5 (PPS5): Planning for the Historic Environment.
- A guide to Planning Policy Statement 5 (PPS5): Planning for the Historic Environment: Historic Environment Planning Practice Guide.
- Historic Environment Good Practice Advice Note 1: The Historic Environment in Local Plans.
- Historic Environment Good Practice Advice Note 2: Decision-Taking in the Historic Environment.
- Historic Environment Good Practice Advice Note 3: The Setting of Heritage Assets.
One of the IHBC’s most populous Schools, the 2019 Nottingham School will be remembered for its combination authoritative speakers, urban experiences and accessible learning, including the IHBC’s Spotlights.
A UK parliamentary petition to Zero-rate VAT on deep retrofit/eco-refurbishment building works on all homes, has been launched, with a deadline of 8 January 2020.
The IHBC has launched two new Guidance Notes, on Retrofitting of Traditional Buildings and Climate Change and Older Buildings – Key Sources.
The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) has announced the opening of the ‘Transforming Places Through Heritage’ fund, focussed on reinvigorating England’s high streets.
A race against devastation - a new exhibition chronicles the wartime work of the National Buildings Record – set up to capture a disappearing landscape.