- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 17 Aug 2018
Design Framework for Building Services 5th Edition (BG 6/2018)
BG6/2018 Design Framework for Building Services 5th Edition is an industry standard document for building services consultants and contractors, helping them and their clients define the extent of their design activities and deliverables. It contains design activity proformas, and drawing and model definitions that can be used to support contract documentation and encourage collaborative working between building services and other designers.
There is a myriad of activities required to produce the necessary level of detail and information to procure a new building. BG 6 provides a platform for these activities to be identified and allocated to organisations or individuals within the project team.
Key changes from the 4th edition include:
- A new layout with clear colour coding for easier navigation.
- Better guidance for the user.
- Completely revised stage-by-stage tasks descriptions as pro-formas.
- New and more illustrations of 3D models and drawings delivered at different project stages.
- More comprehensive listings of deliverables, available as an online resource.
- A range of worked examples showing how the tools can be used for different types of project or appointment, both in the appendix and online.
David Bleicher, Publications Manager at BSRIA, said: “In recent years – changes in technology have brought with them new issues concerning the level of information provided as outputs from design activities. They have also highlighted the need for clarity around existing topics such as the resolution of clashes throughout the design stages and defining coordination roles and responsibilities... The release of this new edition ensures that BG 6 continues to be the industry standard document for building services consultants, consulting engineers, contractors and designers. It helps them, and their clients, clarify and define the extent and timing of their design activity and design deliverables on any specific project.”
Its contents are:
- About BG6.
- How to use BG6.
- Appendix A: Allocating design activity.
- Appendix B: Allocating model, drawing and information production.
- Appendix C: Examples of using BG6.
It is available in hard copy, pdf and multi-site licensed versions. The licensed version contains:
- An unlocked PDF.
- An editable Word version.
- An Excel workbook of all the pro-formas.
- An unlocked pdf of the 4th edition.
- An Excel workbook of all the pro-formas from the fourth edition.
- Free updates for one year from the purchase date.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Still going strong...one of the great buildings of the 20th century.
Review of the bible for heritage assets and their management.
The David Lloyd Lymington Sports Village was 'Commended' in CIAT's 2018 AT Awards.
How do we make the smart city a reality?
Sir Nicholas Grimshaw has been awarded the UK’s highest honour for architecture.
Protecting the construction industry from Brexit.
Conceiving buildings collaboratively, testing them virtually.
Effective collaboration in post-disaster response and recovery
How do you prepare a claim for an extension of time and ensure it isn't rejected?
How innovative ‘design thinking’ may lead to new surface-water solutions.
What will be this year's office design trends?