- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 23 Oct 2020
Design Framework for Building Services 5th Edition (BG 6/2018)
BG6/2018 Design Framework for Building Services 5th Edition is an industry standard document for building services consultants and contractors, helping them and their clients define the extent of their design activities and deliverables. It contains design activity proformas, and drawing and model definitions that can be used to support contract documentation and encourage collaborative working between building services and other designers.
There is a myriad of activities required to produce the necessary level of detail and information to procure a new building. BG 6 provides a platform for these activities to be identified and allocated to organisations or individuals within the project team.
Key changes from the 4th edition include:
- A new layout with clear colour coding for easier navigation.
- Better guidance for the user.
- Completely revised stage-by-stage tasks descriptions as pro-formas.
- New and more illustrations of 3D models and drawings delivered at different project stages.
- More comprehensive listings of deliverables, available as an online resource.
- A range of worked examples showing how the tools can be used for different types of project or appointment, both in the appendix and online.
David Bleicher, Publications Manager at BSRIA, said: “In recent years – changes in technology have brought with them new issues concerning the level of information provided as outputs from design activities. They have also highlighted the need for clarity around existing topics such as the resolution of clashes throughout the design stages and defining coordination roles and responsibilities... The release of this new edition ensures that BG 6 continues to be the industry standard document for building services consultants, consulting engineers, contractors and designers. It helps them, and their clients, clarify and define the extent and timing of their design activity and design deliverables on any specific project.”
Its contents are:
- About BG6.
- How to use BG6.
- Appendix A: Allocating design activity.
- Appendix B: Allocating model, drawing and information production.
- Appendix C: Examples of using BG6.
It is available in hard copy, pdf and multi-site licensed versions. The licensed version contains:
- An unlocked PDF.
- An editable Word version.
- An Excel workbook of all the pro-formas.
- An unlocked pdf of the 4th edition.
- An Excel workbook of all the pro-formas from the fourth edition.
- Free updates for one year from the purchase date.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The teacher, architectural technologist and mum offers her insights.
Careful planning needed as supply chain issues continue.
The sensitive conversion of a neglected Cornwall structure.
Plan stresses local involvement in city, town and village development.
Environment Agency publishes BAT guidance.
CLC guidance outlines carbon reduction priorities.
Making the most of a staycation.
Organisation urges G20 to revisit wind energy.
The historian spent much of his life compiling architectural resources.
How technology can expose efficiency levels in existing buildings.
The garden heritage of Oxford and Cambridge. Book reviews.
Building capacity to better manage heritage.