- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 01 Nov 2020
Common refusals of extensions of time
When it becomes reasonably apparent that there is, or that there is likely to be, a delay that could merit an extension of time, the contractor should give written notice to the contract administrator identifying the relevant event that has caused the delay. If the contract administrator accepts that the delay was caused by a relevant event, then they may grant an extension of time and the completion date is adjusted.
- Where the contractor has underperformed, for example, as a result of insufficient workforce or failure to obtain plant, goods or service.
- When there has been poor, but not exceptionally adverse weather.
- When the evidence or other information presented to demonstrate that the contractor has suffered irrecoverable delays is insufficient.
- If an extension of time has already been given for that event.
- Where more than one event occurs at the same time. See Concurrent delay for more information.
- The event cited does not constitute a relevant event.
- An event does not constitute force majeure.
- An event does not constitute a specified peril.
- The contractor has not taken steps to mitigate the delay
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Acceleration of construction works.
- Change order.
- Compensation event.
- Contract administrator.
- Contract claims.
- Culpable delay.
- Delay damages.
- Extension of time.
- Extension of time - approval letter example.
- How to prepare a claim for an extension of time.
- Practical completion.
- Project programme.
- Time certainty.
- Time extension.
- Time Risk Allowance TRA.
Featured articles and news
Design needs to be more diverse to be widely accessible.
It’s not always a case of the centre leading.
PHribbon toolbar developed for US market.
CIOB consultation seeks feedback on APPG 2020 report.
How to respond to changes made in the October 2021 update.
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.