- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 23 Oct 2019
Cloud computing and BIM for the construction industry
To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article'.
Cloud computing is a relatively new phenomenon in the construction industry. It allows the delivery over the 'cloud' (the internet) of a range of computing services, such as storage, databases, networking, servers, software and analytics to allow building professionals access to faster and more flexible resources.
That means with the assistance of cloud computing, architects and engineers can collaborate on a Building Information Modeling project which is being executed in the office of an architectural and engineering company even when they are at different locations.
- The ability to check designs from anywhere in the world.
- Accessing Building Information Models on mobile devices and collaborating with the team of modelers working on them.
- Suggestions can be provided by architects and engineers to the team executing the project.
- Architects and engineers can easily excess construction documents on site.
- Building professionals can mark-up drawings and plans.
- Projects complications and their status can be easily communicated to Building Information Modelers by architects and engineers.
- Having access to the latest project documents from anywhere in the world.
- The combination of Building Information Modeling and cloud computing can enhance the productivity of the project team.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The role of HVAC systems in the safe return to work.
CLC provides guidance related to product marks, post-Brexit.
Net zero goals incorporated into plans for a new European Bauhaus.
BREEAM offers its resilient approach to Building Back Better.
Country moves one step closer to creating independent body.
BSRIA examines factors driving the industry.
Ensuring designs are developed, validated and can be effectively implemented.
The Homebuyer Survey most suitable for newer homes or simple properties.
Health and safety practices for body and mind.
28 leading bodies set out their vision for the future.
Chancellor announces latest Winter Support packages.
Tapping technology to boost infrastructure and create jobs.
4 ways to ensure certificates are valid.
White elephant construction projects.