- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Nov 2020
Carpet tiles, also known as carpet squares, are a type of flooring which can be used as an alternative to the more common rolled carpet. They are formed from an upper layer of pile attached to a backing and are produced in a variety of sizes, materials, fibres, patterns and colours. Carpet tiles are often used in commercial and public buildings such as airports, offices, schools, libraries, and so on.
Some of the benefits of using carpet tiles include:
- They can be easier to install than rolled carpet.
- They can be installed over many floor types, including timber and concrete.
- Individual tiles can be removed and replaced for cleaning or if they get damaged.
- Creative patterned designs can be achieved.
- Many tiles are manufactured with good stain resistant properties.
Some of the drawbacks of using carpet tiles include:
- The seams of the tiles are more visible than rolled carpet and so require careful installation to avoid an uneven appearance.
- They can have a 'corporate' or 'municipal' feel.
- They can become unstuck, and curling or lifting at edges can create a trip hazard.
- They can be more difficult to remove than rolled carpet, which can be easily lifted.
- They can make access to under-floor services more difficult.
- They are generally not suitable for areas where they may be exposed to moisture.
- They can be more expensive than rolled carpet.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Edwardians and their houses.
Cut off from civilian life for over 900 years.
Gaining green support from the carbon giants.
Medieval passageways with spiritual, transport and economic purposes.
Organisation receives accreditation from Investors in People.
Click the button to subscribe.
Communicating the right information at the right time.
Materials can take on different properties to control heat and glare.
Challenges in the construction sector and beyond.
Exploring brick and timber construction techniques.
On wheels or on platforms, micro dwellings are popping up everywhere.
Landlords must now comply with new repair regulations.
You can add articles and help improve knowledge in the construction industry.
Ayo Sokale explains the struggles of being neurodiverse.