- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 22 May 2019
Carpet tiles, also known as carpet squares, are a type of flooring which can be used as an alternative to the more common rolled carpet. They are formed from an upper layer of pile attached to a backing and are produced in a variety of sizes, materials, fibres, patterns and colours. Carpet tiles are often used in commercial and public buildings such as airports, offices, schools, libraries, and so on.
Some of the benefits of using carpet tiles include:
- They can be easier to install than rolled carpet.
- They can be installed over many floor types, including timber and concrete.
- Individual tiles can be removed and replaced for cleaning or if they get damaged.
- Creative patterned designs can be achieved.
- Many tiles are manufactured with good stain resistant properties.
Some of the drawbacks of using carpet tiles include:
- The seams of the tiles are more visible than rolled carpet and so require careful installation to avoid an uneven appearance.
- They can have a 'corporate' or 'municipal' feel.
- They can become unstuck, and curling or lifting at edges can create a trip hazard.
- They can be more difficult to remove than rolled carpet, which can be easily lifted.
- They can make access to under-floor services more difficult.
- They are generally not suitable for areas where they may be exposed to moisture.
- They can be more expensive than rolled carpet.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
All about E-procurement
Winners and finalists in CIAT's architectural technology awards.
Their survival against the odds is a remarkable feature of the City’s history.
Immersed, charmed and inspired on conservation’s front line.
About JCT...and the rest
The Centre Building, London School of Economics
Architecture course essentials
Enhancing employee health and wellbeing
Underfloor heating opportunities as world radiator market cools.
Points to consider to make specifying sustainable.
It is not just about speed