- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 06 Oct 2020
CDM 2007 Construction phase plan
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM regulations), required that on all notifiable projects, a principal contractor is appointed, and that they develop a construction phase plan setting out how health and safety will be managed during the construction of the project.
The client must not allow work on site to proceed unless a construction phase plan (CPP) has been prepared, at least for the early stages of the works, and arrangements for the development of the rest of the plan (including the incorporation of information from sub-contractors) has been established.
It might include:
- A description of the works.
- Contact details for those involved in the project.
- Roles and responsibilities.
- A description of existing information and where it can be found.
- The health and safety standards to which the works will be carried out.
- Communication, training and monitoring arrangements.
- Pre-construction issues.
- Arrangements for managing the works, such as security, traffic management, site rules and welfare arrangements.
- Assessment of risks.
- Arrangements for managing significant risks.
- Emergency procedures.
- Information about restrictions which may affect the work (such as restrictions imposed by the client).
- Arrangements for creating the health and safety file.
- Circumstances under which risk assessments or method statements should be prepared.
- Sources of other information.
A detailed list of the possible contents of the construction phase plan was published in appendix 3 of Managing Health and Safety in Construction Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 Approved Code of Practice.
The construction phase plan is different from the health and safety file which is prepared by the CDM co-ordinator and provides information allowing future work to the building to be carried out safely.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The last few days, but action needed over the next decade.
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
Promoting the importance of building and fire safety.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
From practice to research and the business of materials.