- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 14 Jan 2016
CDM 2007 Construction phase plan
The CDM regulations were revised in 2015 and this article is no longer current. It is provided here for historical reference only.
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 (CDM regulations), required that on all notifiable projects, a principal contractor is appointed, and that they develop a construction phase plan setting out how health and safety will be managed during the construction of the project.
Notifiable projects are those which last more that 30 days or involve more than 500 person-days of construction work.
The client must not allow work on site to proceed unless a construction phase plan (CPP) has been prepared, at least for the early stages of the works, and arrangements for the development of the rest of the plan (including the incorporation of information from sub-contractors) has been established.
It might include:
- A description of the works.
- Contact details for those involved in the project.
- Roles and responsibilities.
- A description of existing information and where it can be found.
- The health and safety standards to which the works will be carried out.
- Communication, training and monitoring arrangements.
- Pre-construction issues.
- Arrangements for managing the works, such as security, traffic management, site rules and welfare arrangements.
- Assessment of risks.
- Arrangements for managing significant risks.
- Emergency procedures.
- Information about restrictions which may affect the work (such as restrictions imposed by the client).
- Arrangements for creating the health and safety file.
- Circumstances under which risk assessments or method statements should be prepared.
- Sources of other information.
A detailed list of the possible contents of the construction phase plan was published in appendix 3 of Managing Health and Safety in Construction Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 Approved Code of Practice.
The construction phase plan is different from the health and safety file which is prepared by the CDM co-ordinator and provides information allowing future work to the building to be carried out safely.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Everything you need to know about acoustics in under 800 words.
Check out our list of the 90 most unusual buildings of all time.
The government is to set a personal consumption target to reduce water use.
BSRIA calls for more education to promote fuels that are fit to burn.
Michael Gove admits air pollution is making people ill and shortening lives.
BRE call for a clearer, focused drive for the delivery of sustainable, quality developments.
Proposals for a 140m high observation wheel next to the Tyne.
Consistently one of our most popular articles - so just how much do you know about BoQ's?
Significant updates encourage whole building life cycle assessment and recognise products with Environmental Product Declarations.
Gustavo Giovannoni’s role in integrating modern planning requirements into historic town centres.