- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 17 Jan 2021
BSRIA calls for clarity following Brexit Article 50 High Court ruling
On 4 November 2016, the member-based association BSRIA (Building Services Research and Information Association) called for clarity following the Brexit Article 50 High Court ruling.
Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty sets out the process when an EU Member State decides to withdraw and notifies the European Council of its intention. The Union then reaches an agreement with that State, negotiating the arrangements for its withdrawal. The EU has said that negotiations about the terms of the UK’s exit cannot begin until Article 50 has been invoked.
However, on 3 November, uncertainty was cast on the timetable for Brexit after the government lost a High Court case challenging its right to trigger Article 50 without a vote in Parliament. The High Court ruled that Parliament alone has the power to activate Brexit.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive of BSRIA, said: “Back on Thursday 23rd June, the country voted and the decision was ‘out’. Today’s High Court ruling now adds a high level of uncertainty and ambiguity into the Brexit proceedings. What industry needs is clear leadership to bring economic confidence and stability forthwith as a plan of action.
“Much economic indecision had already been evident in the build up to the referendum which was detrimental to our industry. We do not need more.”
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building Services Research and Information Association BSRIA.
- BSRIA articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Architects' Brexit statement.
- Brexit - the case for infrastructure.
- Brexit Topic Guide.
- BSRIA Brexit white paper.
- BSRIA response to Brexit speech.
- BSRIA response to Brexit white paper.
- HVAC and smart energy post-Brexit.
- Overcoming the challenges of Brexit.
- Post brexit, house building and construction remains a safe sustainable industry.
- Post-Brexit vision for construction.
- Triggering article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon.
- What does Brexit mean for construction?
Featured articles and news
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.
Six ways to help our children learn.
BSRIA adds to its series of illustrated guides.
ECA calls for energy levy reform.
ICE considers creation of new professional designation.
Principles of conservation for bronze objects. Book review.
The untapped potential of charities, community organisations and social enterprises.