BREEAM Sustainability champion
 Aim and benefits
The BREEAM Sustainability Champion also known as the BREEAM AP (Advisory Professional) helps to achieve project's BREEAM targets and maximise opportunities for project performance. Many clients appreciate the support of a proactive BREEAM AP to explain the BREEAM criteria and requirements to them and provide templates for their reports.
 When to consider
- Client to appoint BREEAM AP.
- BREEAM AP should attend a key design team meeting and/or preferably run a separate BREEAM workshop session to set BREEAM targets and identify potential opportunities and challenging credits. A proactive BREEAM AP would list those credits which require actions at early stages and liaise with relevant consultants in charge to ensure documents are created prior to RIBA stage 2 freeze.
- BREEAM assessor, if appointed at this time, or the BREEAM AP could run a BREEAM pre-assessment based on the design documents at RIBA stage 2. This is useful to check the project against BREEAM performance and individual credit performance. The pre-assessment report is also helpful for planning or funding applications.
- BREEAM AP should attend the key design team meetings as a minimum to ensure BREEAM performance targets are not lost.
- BREEAM APs to record all their meeting minutes and correspondence with the project team to demonstrate progress against BREEAM targets.
- If a different person provides BREEAM AP support to the contractors at construction stage, they should record and keep handover notes from the design stage BREEAM AP to include in the evidence documents.
- BREEAM AP to provide regular site attendance and project meetings to ensure construction and installations are in line with the targeted BREEAM standards.
- Site visit reports and project meeting minutes to be provided as evidence.
 Questions to ask while seeking compliance
The main issues for this credit compliance is to have proper and clear meeting minutes and communication documents to demonstrate involvement of the BREEAM AP. So the question to be asked is; if a BREEAM AP is officially appointed and if all the AP correspondence are documented?
- Sustainability champion - Top 10 easy wins issue
 Tips and best practice
 Typical evidence
- Appointment documents.
- Meeting minutes.
- Trackers and reports to demonstrate progress against the target.
- Handover notes, if necessary.
 Applicable schemes
The guidelines collated in this Issue Support document (ISD) aim to support sustainable best practice in the topic described. This issue may apply in multiple BREEAM schemes covering different stages in the life of a building, different building types and different year versions. Some content may be generic but scheme nuances should also be taken into account. Refer to the comments below and related articles to this one to understand these nuances. See this document for further guidelines.
BRE Global does not endorse any of the content posted and use of the content will not guarantee the meeting of certification criteria.
--Azita Dezfouli 16:30, 10 Jan 2018 (BST)
See also: BREEAM Advisory Professional.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Issue support documents
|These are Multiple Author Articles - click on them and add to them today. It's easy.|
You can also add to General Multiple Author Articles here
Issue support documents are written for named BREEAM Issues or sub-issues. More info. (ac) = awaiting content
|Thanks to our Knowledge Sharing Ambassadors for a lot of this content|
- BREEAM Sustainability champion
- BREEAM Environmental management
- BREEAM Considerate construction
- BREEAM Monitoring of construction site impacts
- BREEAM Aftercare support
- BREEAM Seasonal commissioning
- BREEAM Testing and inspecting building fabric
- BREEAM Life cycle cost and service life planning
- BREEAM Stakeholder consultation (ac)
- BREEAM Commissioning (ac)
- BREEAM Handover (ac)
- BREEAM Inclusive and accessible design (ac)
- BREEAM Post occupancy evaluation
 Health and Wellbeing
- BREEAM Visual comfort Daylighting (partly ac)
- BREEAM Visual comfort View out
- BREEAM Visual comfort Glare control
- BREEAM Indoor air quality plan
- BREEAM Indoor air quality Ventilation
- BREEAM Thermal comfort
- BREEAM Internal and external lighting (ac)
- BREEAM Indoor pollutants VOCs (ac)
- BREEAM Potential for natural ventilation (ac)
- BREEAM Safe containment in laboratories (ac)
- BREEAM Acoustic performance
- BREEAM Safety and security (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of energy use and carbon emissions
- BREEAM Energy monitoring
- BREEAM External lighting
- BREEAM Low carbon design
- BREEAM Passive design
- BREEAM Free cooling
- BREEAM LZC technologies
- BREEAM Energy efficient cold storage (partly ac)
- BREEAM Energy efficient transportation systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient laboratory systems
- BREEAM Energy efficient equipment (partly ac)
- BREEAM Drying space
- BREEAM Public transport accessibility
- BREEAM Sustainable transport measures
- BREEAM Proximity to amenities
- BREEAM Cyclist facilities
- BREEAM Alternative modes of transport (ac)
- BREEAM Maximum car parking capacity
- BREEAM Travel plan
- BREEAM Home office (ac)
- BREEAM Water consumption
- BREEAM Water efficient equipment
- BREEAM Water monitoring
- BREEAM Water leak detection (ac)
- BREEAM Hard landscaping and boundary protection
- BREEAM Responsible sourcing of materials
- BREEAM Insulation
- BREEAM Designing for durability and resilience
- BREEAM Life cycle impacts
- BREEAM Material efficiency (ac)
- BREEAM Construction waste management
- BREEAM Recycled aggregates
- BREEAM Speculative floor & ceiling finishes
- BREEAM Adaptation to climate change
- BREEAM Operational waste
- BREEAM Functional adaptability (ac)
 Land Use and Ecology
- BREEAM Site Selection
- BREEAM Ecological value of site
- BREEAM Protection of ecological features
- BREEAM Minimising impact on existing site ecology
- BREEAM Enhancing site ecology
- BREEAM Long term impact on biodiversity (ac)
- BREEAM Impact of refrigerants
- BREEAM NOx emissions
- BREEAM Flood risk management (ac)
- BREEAM Surface water run-off (ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of night time light pollution (partly ac)
- BREEAM Reduction of noise pollution
Once an ISD has been initially created the '(ac)' marker can be removed
This particular index is based around the structure of the New Construction and RFO schemes.