- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 28 Feb 2017
BIM guidelines around the world
This article needs more work. To help develop this article, click 'Edit this article' above.
Almost all BIM guidelines in the world have 4 major parts:
- Project Execution Plan (PEP)
- Modelling Methodology (MM)
- Levels of Detail (LODs)
- BIM protocol and information organisation (P&O)
Until 2015 in the USA, some departments of state published 47 BIM guidelines and standards to implement BIM efficiently, in which 17 were published by government office and 30 were published by non-profit organizations:
- General Services Administration (GSA) plans to publish 8 BIM guidelines. They published 6 instructions from 2007 to 2011 and 2 others are yet to be publish.
- National Institute of Building Sciences (NIBS) published 2 BIM standards and are preparing to publish a 3rd.
- The American Institute of Architects, Association of General Contractors (AGC), universities, state and city also publish other BIM guidelines and standards. The Pennsylvania state university and Association of contractors have all 4 of the above parts. Some others don’t have 4 parts, of which about 50% don’t clarify Level of detail (LODs).
- 18 were published in the United Kingdom by the Construction Industry Council (CIC), BIM Task Group, British Standards Institution (BSI), AEC-UK…,
- 6 were publish in Norway by Statsbygg – a government department and the Norway Association of construction.
- There are others in Finland, Denmark, and Sweden. Especially in Finland, where there are BIM application instructions for not only civils work but also for infrastructure and bridge projects.
In Asia, there are 35 BIM protocols, in which:
- 12 were published by Singapore Building Construction Authority (BCA) and other government departments.
- Others were published in Korea, Japan, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
As with Europe, almost all of them lack 2 parts: PEP and LODs. Only its version 2 of BCS have full 4 parts.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- BIM and facilities management.
- BIM articles.
- BIM execution plan.
- BIM glossary of terms.
- BIM resources.
- Building information modelling.
- Construction Operations Building Information Exchange (COBie).
- CIC BIM Protocol.
- Global BIM market.
- Industry Foundation Classes.
- Level of detail.
- PAS 1192-2:2013.
- PAS 1192-3:2014.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?
One of the seven man-made wonders of Arizona.