- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Jul 2017
Barriers to innovation and Construction 2025
In June, key leaders in construction met at Kaleida’s office to discuss and share insight on some of the central topics impacting the current market. As a result of the discussion, a whitepaper was produced highlighting some of the challenges and opportunities, along with proposed solutions that would require a change at both the top and the bottom.
Using personal insight and supporting sources, the following factors were identified:
- The objectives of Construction 2025 and Digital Built Britain will not be achieved unless there is a change in mindset towards collaboration and innovation.
- Innovation needs to be led and managed from the top down.
- In house skills need to be built from the bottom and developed through apprenticeship schemes.
- In order to innovate, we need collaboration, so lessons can be learnt across the industry from one project to the next.
- To facilitate collaboration, we need systems that can talk to each other.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3D printing.
- Architecture and the need for innovation
- Artificial intelligence and civil engineering.
- Augmented reality in construction.
- Building information modelling.
- Burj Khalifa.
- Construction innovation
- Innovation – the key differentiator
- Innovation in construction projects
- Internet of things.
- Rethinking Construction Innovation and Research: A Review of Government Policies and Practices
- Shaping the Future of Construction: Inspiring innovators redefine the industry.
- Smart buildings.
Featured articles and news
Do you understand the different types of stone and which ones you should use where?
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.
A crucial moment on any project - and fraught with danger.
The performance gap from a Northern Ireland perspective.
Book review: Buildings of protestant nonconformity.
Design and testing for health and wellbeing - free download from BRE.
Retention in construction contracts.
Campaign for the reform of cash retentions.
The key points for the construction industry and BSRIA's response.
How to make roads safer: the debate continues.
What does the Northern Powerhouse mean for us?
The different types of bond in construction contracts.