Barriers to innovation and Construction 2025
In June, key leaders in construction met at Kaleida’s office to discuss and share insight on some of the central topics impacting the current market. As a result of the discussion, a whitepaper was produced highlighting some of the challenges and opportunities, along with proposed solutions that would require a change at both the top and the bottom.
Using personal insight and supporting sources, the following factors were identified:
- The objectives of Construction 2025 and Digital Built Britain will not be achieved unless there is a change in mindset towards collaboration and innovation.
- Innovation needs to be led and managed from the top down.
- In house skills need to be built from the bottom and developed through apprenticeship schemes.
- In order to innovate, we need collaboration, so lessons can be learnt across the industry from one project to the next.
- To facilitate collaboration, we need systems that can talk to each other.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- 3D printing.
- Architecture and the need for innovation
- Artificial intelligence and civil engineering.
- Augmented reality in construction.
- Building information modelling.
- Burj Khalifa.
- Construction innovation
- Innovation – the key differentiator
- Innovation in construction projects
- Internet of things.
- Rethinking Construction Innovation and Research: A Review of Government Policies and Practices
- Shaping the Future of Construction: Inspiring innovators redefine the industry.
- Smart buildings.
Featured articles and news
Here is our list of the top 25 buildings in London. Do you agree with our selection?
A blueprint for the construction industry from Canada's west coast.
China's elaborate idea for a mass-transport system has been abandoned.
Read this article about the theories that characterise life in the hyperreal post-modern city.
Polyisocyanurate (PIR) insulation and how it was tested.
"We can’t sustain low density suburbs, density isn't a choice, it's a necessity." - Read our interview with the award-winning social housing architect Peter Barber.
Conservation area designation can be crucial, but treatment of individual parks varies considerably.
ICE publish new NEC4 Design, Build and Operate contract.
Report states $2 trillion is needed over the next 10 years to fix American roads.
What is the client's strategic brief for construction projects?
Read the story behind the world's most iconic festival stage, Glastonbury's Pyramid Stage.
First ever BREEAM Communities innovation credit is claimed by Temple Farm Development.
Read the story of Ronan Point, another disastrous event which had profound consequences for the construction industry.
CIOB to help conservation specialists gain recognition for their expertise with launch of new Certification Scheme.
What is ACM cladding, what is it used for, and is it banned?