- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Nov 2020
Third party accreditation
Third party accreditation (or certification) is the formal, independent recognition that a prescribed standard of performance has been achieved. A third party organisation reviews a process, product, system, organisation, person etc. and certifies compliance with a required standard of safety, quality or environmental performance etc. This may involve, demonstration of qualifications, systems, testing processes, materials, testing, inspections of facilities and so on.
If the standard is achieved, the third party provides written assurance or certification that it conforms to the specified requirements. Some certification systems will provide graded result, such as; excellent, good, poor and so on.
Such certification, provides a means for potential clients to make informed choices in terms of selecting proven and competent suppliers, as well as ensuring compliance with their own standards or policies.
In the UK, the British Board of Agrément (BBA) is one of the leading bodies offering approval, certification and test services to construction industry products and systems. For more information, see Agrément certificate.
Products and systems that receive BBA and other forms of certification, are recognised by building control, government departments, architects, specifiers and industry insurers that there is a certain level of quality and fitness for purpose.
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme.
- Department for Communities and Local Government.
- Forest Stewardship Council.
- Gas safe.
- Health and Safety Executive.
- Home Quality Mark.
- International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO).
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification.
- Robust details certification scheme.
- Ska rating.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Agrément certificate.
- British Board of Agrément.
- British standards.
- Building Research Establishment BRE.
- CE marking.
- Construction products regulations.
- Gas Safe.
- Green Seal.
- How to check certification.
- International Organisation for Standardisation.
- ISO 14024.
- Quality assurance.
- Quality management system.
Featured articles and news
Favoured in ancient settlements and garden cities but rejected in Circleville.
ICE seeks exceptional net zero projects.
Proper materials and maintenance can help reduce rust.
Is the construction sector responding to calls for ED&I?
Engineers pay tribute by sharing their memories.
The hidden price of infrastructure.
BREEAM incorporates wellbeing into its Building Back Better programme.
Administration signals policy changes on some building-related issues.
From inns and coaching houses to boutiques.
Survey reveals green skills gap.
America's economic collapse produced scores of PWA Moderne projects.