- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 04 Feb 2020
Development proposals may include specialist components that are best designed in detail by their manufacturers or installers. Such items could include; lifts, escalators, cladding systems, switchgear, refrigeration units, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, cleaning cradles and so on.
In such cases it is often desirable to secure this specialist design before the supply contract has been tendered in order that they can be properly integrated into the overall design and so that delays do not occur and variations are not necessary.
- Writing a closed specification for specific components that could only be satisfied by the specialist contractors.
- A two-stage tender process where the specialist contractors design services are procured in the first stage along with agreed rates, overheads and profit for the products or services to be supplied in the second stage. The specialist contractor might then become a named sub-contractor or nominated sub-contractor, or a named supplier in the main contract. In some cases, the second stage appointment might be made direct by the client (for example for the supply of equipment outside of the scope of the main contract).
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building information modelling.
- Collaborative practices.
- Main contractor.
- Nominated sub-contractor.
- Named sub-contractor.
- Named supplier.
- Procurement routes
- Specialist designer.
- Specialist contractors' start-up meeting.
- Specialist subcontractor.
- Tender process.
- Two-stage tender.
- Types of contractor.
Featured articles and news
BSRIA releases market sector growth projections.
Designing for durability and resilience.
Do plans to connect infrastructure and housing stack up?
1 minute review of CAMRA’s guide to historic drinking dens.
Their complex heritage remains largely unknown.
New editor covered facilities management, operations and construction in the US.
Exclusive log cabins on the North Antrim coastline.
Proactive forestry for strategic water management.
CIOB urges construction to share PPE with healthcare providers.
Why not write that article you've always meant to?