- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 26 Sep 2019
Development proposals may include specialist components that are best designed in detail by their manufacturers or installers. Such items could include; lifts, escalators, cladding systems, switchgear, refrigeration units, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, cleaning cradles and so on.
In such cases it is often desirable to secure this specialist design before the supply contract has been tendered in order that they can be properly integrated into the overall design and so that delays do not occur and variations are not necessary.
- Writing a closed specification for specific components that could only be satisfied by the specialist contractors.
- A two-stage tender process where the specialist contractors design services are procured in the first stage along with agreed rates, overheads and profit for the products or services to be supplied in the second stage. The specialist contractor might then become a named sub-contractor or nominated sub-contractor, or a named supplier in the main contract. In some cases, the second stage appointment might be made direct by the client (for example for the supply of equipment outside of the scope of the main contract).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building information modelling.
- Collaborative practices.
- Main contractor.
- Nominated sub-contractor.
- Named sub-contractor.
- Named supplier.
- Procurement routes
- Specialist designer.
- Specialist contractors' start-up meeting.
- Specialist subcontractor.
- Tender process.
- Two-stage tender.
- Types of contractor.
Featured articles and news
How not to upset the planners.
CEEQUAL International and how it works.
Communities across England are being encouraged to nominate heritage assets.
Access control in buildings.
MASTRO project – lifecycle costing and assessment.
Five things to consider before installing solar panels.
New conservation building for the Louvre completed.
A balance between character and climate.
Bamboo pavilion built at London South Bank Uni.
Bringing in an expert.
Why the lowest price isn't sustainable.