- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jun 2018
Development proposals may include specialist components that are best designed in detail by their manufacturers or installers. Such items could include; lifts, escalators, cladding systems, switchgear, refrigeration units, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, cleaning cradles and so on.
In such cases it is often desirable to secure this specialist design before the supply contract has been tendered in order that they can be properly integrated into the overall design and so that delays do not occur and variations are not necessary.
- Writing a closed specification for specific components that could only be satisfied by the specialist contractors.
- A two-stage tender process where the specialist contractors design services are procured in the first stage along with agreed rates, overheads and profit for the products or services to be supplied in the second stage. The specialist contractor might then become a named sub-contractor or nominated sub-contractor, or a named supplier in the main contract. In some cases, the second stage appointment might be made direct by the client (for example for the supply of equipment outside of the scope of the main contract).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building information modelling.
- Collaborative practices.
- Main contractor.
- Nominated sub-contractor.
- Named sub-contractor.
- Named supplier.
- Procurement routes
- Specialist designer.
- Specialist contractors' start-up meeting.
- Specialist subcontractor.
- Tender process.
- Two-stage tender.
- Types of contractor.
Featured articles and news
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?
A new theory for managing large complex projects.
A new guide to fire safety and security in the selection of doorsets.
Review of the long-awaited discourse on these beautifully produced, colourful wallpapers.
Well-designed lighting helps maintain a healthy physiological and psychological balance.
Transferring the risk for obtaining the target BREEAM rating.
A simple but effective way to determine the root cause of an issue.
BSRIA report suggest the European market will double to 415 million Euros by 2023.
Why a wellbeing strategy is vital for property managers.
An ECA briefing for members about the commercial implications of leaving the EU.