- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 25 Jun 2018
Development proposals may include specialist components that are best designed in detail by their manufacturers or installers. Such items could include; lifts, escalators, cladding systems, switchgear, refrigeration units, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, cleaning cradles and so on.
In such cases it is often desirable to secure this specialist design before the supply contract has been tendered in order that they can be properly integrated into the overall design and so that delays do not occur and variations are not necessary.
- Writing a closed specification for specific components that could only be satisfied by the specialist contractors.
- A two-stage tender process where the specialist contractors design services are procured in the first stage along with agreed rates, overheads and profit for the products or services to be supplied in the second stage. The specialist contractor might then become a named sub-contractor or nominated sub-contractor, or a named supplier in the main contract. In some cases, the second stage appointment might be made direct by the client (for example for the supply of equipment outside of the scope of the main contract).
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Building information modelling.
- Collaborative practices.
- Main contractor.
- Nominated sub-contractor.
- Named sub-contractor.
- Named supplier.
- Procurement routes
- Specialist designer.
- Specialist contractors' start-up meeting.
- Specialist subcontractor.
- Tender process.
- Two-stage tender.
- Types of contractor.
Featured articles and news
The built environment can unlock opportunities for skills.
Additionality is a concept applied to activities and projects.
Some HPL cladding is very unlikely to adequately resist the spread of fire.
What a chartered architectural technologist does.
Building design and construction fees.
The world heritage list has evolved to embrace built, cultural and natural heritage.
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.