- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 09 May 2018
Renzo Piano is an Italian architect and engineer whose notable buildings include the Centre Pompidou (in collaboration with Richard Rogers), The Shard, and the Whitney Museum of American Art. He was the recipient of the Pritzker Architecture Prize in 1998. His style is often defined by a sense of lightness, precise detailing and an interrelation between traditional and inventiveness as well as function and context.
Piano was born in Genoa, Italy on 14 September 1937. He studied architecture at the Milan Polytechnic University and taught there in late-1960s. He later worked for the modernist architect Louis Kahn in Philadelphia and then for the Polish engineer Zygmunt Stanlislaw Makaovski in London.
He completed his first building in 1968, the IPE factory in Genoa, characterised with a steel and reinforced polyester roof. He also created a continuous membrane for the covering of a pavilion at the Milan Triennale in 1968. His first international commission was for the Pavilion of Italian Industry for Expo 70 in Osaka.
It was the Osaka structure that attracted the attention of Richard Rogers, and in 1971 they established their own firm, Piano and Rogers. This firm practiced from 1971 to 1977 during which time it achieved worldwide attention and acclaim by winning the design competition for the Centre Pompidou in Paris.
- Centre Pompidou, Paris, France (1977)
- Kansai International Airport, Osaka, Japan (1991–1994)
- Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Centre, Noumea, New Caledonia, France (1991–98)
- Potsdamer Platz, Berlin, Germany (1992–2000)
- Auditorium of the Parco della Musica, Rome, Italy (1994–2002)
- New York Times Building, New York, USA (2000–2007)
- The Shard, London, UK (2000–2010)
- Central Saint Giles, London, UK (2002–2010)
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, USA (2007–2015)
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, Athens, Greece (2016)
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
The Ocean Cleanup project
The various types of bond and when they are used.
It's vital the industry responds to proposals for reform of the safety regulatory system.
RSHP's Merano wins RIBA accolade.
How to differentiate between partial possession and early use.
Ofwat proposes £12 billion additional investment and £50 bill reductions.
Avoiding 'winner's curse' and other useful info.
Developing test methods for video flame/smoke detectors
Waiting for a new deal ...but will funding materialise?
Our servers have reached another milestone. Why not write an article and be seen by our 6.5 million users.
RSHP celebrates competition win in Paris.
All about approved inspectors.