Last edited 13 Jan 2021



The term poche (or poche’ in French) refers to areas on architectural drawings that are filled, hatched or shaded to indicate that they slice through a component (generally, but not always solid), such as a column, beam, floor and so on. This technique is typically used to simplify and clarify sections or plans cut through buildings or other assets, helping distinguish between occupiable space and non-occupiable or solid areas.

The word is derived from from the French past participle of ‘pocher’, meaning to sketch roughly.

Recesses in solid walls may be referred to as pochespaces.

[edit] Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki

Designing Buildings Anywhere

Get the Firefox add-on to access 20,000 definitions direct from any website

Find out more Accept cookies and
don't show me this again