- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 11 Feb 2022
A laminate is a product in which one or more surface materials is added to a base layer or substrate to protect it or to enhance its aesthetic appearance or performance. Depending on the purpose of the product, the surface layer may be fabricated from a range of materials which may themselves be referred to as laminates.
Types of laminate processes and materials include:
- Ethylenetetrafluoroethylene (ETFE). As a dual laminate, ETFE can be bonded with FRP (fibre-reinforced plastic or fibre-reinforced polymer) as a thermoplastic liner. This is then installed in pipes and tanks for corrosion protection.
- Continuous Pressure Laminate (CPL). CPL is a combination of sheets of paper or fibres and layers of resin that are compressed at high temperatures for a relatively short period of time.
- High Pressure Laminate (HPL). HPL is similar to CPL, except that it is compressed at high temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Thermally Fused Laminate (TFL). TFL is a decorative surfacing product sometimes referred to as melamine or low pressure laminate.
- Fibre Reinforced Laminate (FRL). FRL is a wall and door surfacing product.
- Glass reinforced plastic (GRP). GRP is a composite laminate material that consists of glass fibres used to reinforce a plastic (typically a polyester resin). It is also referred to as glass reinforced polyester, fibreglass, glass-fibre reinforced plastic (GFRP), fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) or fibre reinforced polymer (FRP).
Featured articles and news
When did they start and how many are there?
Roadmap to guide professionals in using smart technology.
Campaigning for buildings of all periods.
Meaning, understanding and implementation.
Advancing sustainable and regenerative project management.
Promised to be pragmatic and practical guidance.
Whilst replacement maybe preferred, its not always possible.
Dealing with draughts and reducing heat loss.
Managing Partner at Onyx and third gen project manager.
Expectation types, management and performance gaps.
Appointments, re-appointments and six changes a year.
New ways to manage the housing crisis.
Consortium seeks signatories for open letter by February 29.
From climate to cost to cold bridges and design flexibility.
In a changing world at the APM PM SIG conference.
The glass product that opened up new possibilities.