- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 27 Dec 2021
A laminate is a product in which one or more surface materials is added to a base layer or substrate to protect it or to enhance its aesthetic appearance or performance. Depending on the purpose of the product, the surface layer may be fabricated from a range of materials which may themselves be referred to as laminates.
Types of laminate processes and materials include:
- Ethylenetetrafluoroethylene (ETFE). As a dual laminate, ETFE can be bonded with FRP (fibre-reinforced plastic or fibre-reinforced polymer) as a thermoplastic liner. This is then installed in pipes and tanks for corrosion protection.
- Continuous Pressure Laminate (CPL). CPL is a combination of sheets of paper or fibres and layers of resin that are compressed at high temperatures for a relatively short period of time.
- High Pressure Laminate (HPL). HPL is similar to CPL, except that it is compressed at high temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Thermally Fused Laminate (TFL). TFL is a decorative surfacing product sometimes referred to as melamine or low pressure laminate.
- Fibre Reinforced Laminate (FRL). FRL is a wall and door surfacing product.
- Glass reinforced plastic (GRP). GRP is a composite laminate material that consists of glass fibres used to reinforce a plastic (typically a polyester resin). It is also referred to as glass reinforced polyester, fibreglass, glass-fibre reinforced plastic (GFRP), fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) or fibre reinforced polymer (FRP).
Featured articles and news
Resource provides professional installation assistance.
Adaptive planning proposal spans 15 years.
Activities summarised by the Construction Industry Council.
How Islamic architecture shaped Europe. Book review.
The campaign to preserve a rare blacksmith bridge.
Transitional options for the next generation of heating technologies.
Additional support being offered to job seekers with autism.
BSRIA adds to its series of illustrated guides.
ECA calls for energy levy reform.