- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 14 Dec 2020
Green building envelope
The report, written by a global collaborative team of Arup specialists, explores the application of green infrastructure to the surfaces of both new and existing inner-city buildings in five major cities; Berlin, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne and Hong Kong.
The wide-ranging conclusions of the report include:
- Green facades can reduce local air pollution by 10-20%.
- The level of reduction is dependent on the ratio of the building height to the street width.
- Green facades could reduce sound levels from emergent and traffic noise sources by up to 10dB(A).
- Green facades have a greater acoustical impact with increasing distance from the noise source.
- When ambient noise levels are lower, such as during the night, green facades are likely to have a greater acoustic impact.
 Urban heat island (UHI) effect
- Green facades can remove 50% of solar radiation.
- They are most effective at reducing the UHI in denser urban centres and in areas where there is more concrete and less planting.
- Reductions in peak air temperatures of up to 10ºC are achievable, although for most areas, the mean reductions in UHI were a fraction of a degree compared to the peak.
- Cities with wide streets and low-rise buildings could benefit from more greenery at street level.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create and account and write the first of many articles.
CIAT commentary after the first meeting.
Who is to blame?
Research recommends focussing on portfolio success rather than project success.
The revised standard for mapping underground utilities.
Cross-industry steering group seeks support in delivery.
Help us update process pieces from your field.
APM report explores existing practice.
COVID-19 and the importance of mental wellbeing.
As Professionally Qualified Person (PQP).
In order of relevance and with industry responses.
Raising awareness of the impacts of loneliness.
The list is growing, and in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t build new, If we can’t maintain what's built.
Timber Accelerator Hub phase 1 report