- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 13 Sep 2016
Green building envelope
The report, written by a global collaborative team of Arup specialists, explores the application of green infrastructure to the surfaces of both new and existing inner-city buildings in five major cities; Berlin, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne and Hong Kong.
The wide-ranging conclusions of the report include:
- Green facades can reduce local air pollution by 10-20%.
- The level of reduction is dependent on the ratio of the building height to the street width.
- Green facades could reduce sound levels from emergent and traffic noise sources by up to 10dB(A).
- Green facades have a greater acoustical impact with increasing distance from the noise source.
- When ambient noise levels are lower, such as during the night, green facades are likely to have a greater acoustic impact.
 Urban heat island (UHI) effect
- Green facades can remove 50% of solar radiation.
- They are most effective at reducing the UHI in denser urban centres and in areas where there is more concrete and less planting.
- Reductions in peak air temperatures of up to 10ºC are achievable, although for most areas, the mean reductions in UHI were a fraction of a degree compared to the peak.
- Cities with wide streets and low-rise buildings could benefit from more greenery at street level.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.