- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 22 Oct 2020
Design and manage procurement route
The design and manage procurement route shares several characteristics of management contracting.
Under this arrangement, the works are constructed by a number of different works contractors who report to a management contractor who is selected early in the process. The management contractor assumes responsibility for the other contractors and the design team. This procurement approach is suitable for large, complex projects or fast track projects.
It may also be a preferred method when the client wishes to have one point of contact who is responsible for everything. A single point of contact is also the case with the design and build procurement route, although some clients feel this route is only appropriate for simple projects where design quality is not the first priority.
- The organisation is paid to design and manage the work and delivers the project by hiring subcontractors to design and construct the project.
- The organisation is paid as a consultant to act as the agent of the client to design and manage the work by obtaining subcontract tenders from works contractors who then each enter into a direct contract with the client.
 Advantages and disadvantages
Potential benefits to the design and manage procurement route include:
- A collaborative relationship between the design and manage contractor and the client.
- Fewer delays caused by a lack of information or miscommunication.
- Clearer delineation of overall financial responsibilities for the default of sub-contractors.
- The duplication of resources between trade contractors and the design and manage contractor, resulting in a higher prices.
- A lack of an established contract sum, resulting in an estimate created by the quantity surveyor and then endorsed by the design and manage contractor; it is then confirmed along the way as tendering progresses and the works proceed.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
Will the way we heat homes change when winter comes ?
Can XR technology be leveraged in design & construction?
Or are you capping.
Digital gaming competition for UK students aged 16 to 18.
Heritage protection in England vs Australia.
Three-quarters of fire doors fail inspections
The role of geoparks, biospheres and world heritage sites.
Just one month to go ! Find out more here.
A new gallery for the University of Huddersfield.
What will it take to stop it ?
To celebrate world bee day 2022 !
Not forgetting part F and the new part overheating part O.
As energy prices jump up in cost.
With people in the UK from Ukraine.
Industry leader Steve Murray takes on role.
An abundant and versatile building material.
600,000 heat pump installations targeted per year by 2028.
Helping prevent those unwanted outcomes.
How has transport changed due to Covid-19 ?
Will you need it ? after June 15 and the new Part O ?
Create an account and write the first of many articles.