- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 21 Jul 2017
Crown development on Crown-owned land
- Planning permission.
- Consent under a Tree Preservation Order.
- Listed building consent.
- Planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area.
- Hazardous substances consent.
Certain provisions and arrangements are in place so that development that is critical can be facilitated, and access to sensitive information (i.e. in the interests of national security and defence) can be restricted. These include:
- Additional permitted development rights: Enabling certain Crown developments without needing to apply for planning permission.
- Non-disclosure arrangements: When details of planning applications cannot be disclosed.
- National security provisions: To avoid disclosure of sensitive information in a public inquiry.
- Special urgency procedure: To fast-track the planning process for urgent Crown development.
The local planning authority may determine that, due to the Crown body withholding certain details from the planning application, it does not have the necessary information to make a decision and may refuse consent or fail to determine the application.
On appeal, the Secretary of State, under section 321 of the principal Act, has the power to restrict the relevant information to certain people at an inquiry. In this way, it is hoped that an informed decision can be reached.
Under rule 6 of the Planning (National Security Directions and Appointed Representatives) (England) Rules 2006, the Secretary of State must publicise any request that is made by a Crown body for a section 321 direction.
 Find out more
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
- Crown estate.
- Forest ownership.
- Listed buildings.
- Permitted development.
- Planning permission.
- Statutory approvals for buildings.
 External resources
Featured articles and news
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.
How to write them and what they should include.
Designing Buildings Wiki becomes the world's first website to adopt the new knowledge standard.
Assessing the most beneficial design elements.
Exploring different types of vinyl flooring.