- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
Last edited 24 Sep 2020
Contingency plans are plans than could be enacted to mitigate project risks identified during risk assessment, if those risks increase or materialise. That is, they are alternative courses of action devised to cope with project risks.
- Non-delivery of materials. An alternative design might be prepared, or bulk or specific items could be pre-ordered before contractors are appointed
- Lack of available work force. This could be tackled by the provision of a site labour camp or by overseas recruitment.
- Lack of plant and equipment availability (or plant failure or access to spare parts). Plant such as piling rigs and spares could be ordered during the design stages prior to contractor involvement.
- Illness. This could be mitigated by insurance cover for key personnel.
- The risk of obtaining planning permission or other statutory approvals. This might be mitigated by early consultation with statutory authorities prior to design, or by employing ex-statutory authority employees, or consultants familiar with the statutory authority.
- Information and communications technology failure. This might be mitigated by duplicating facilities, establishing back-up procedures and providing uninterrupted power supplies.
- Failure of power or water supply. This might be mitigated by the duplication of supply, uninterrupted power supplies or the provision of standby generators.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki
Featured articles and news
A guide to daylight design for commercial buildings.
ECA research shows lack of preparation amongst survey respondents.
Smart mapping approaches for building better infrastructure.
The importance of emergency planning.
Eight forms of resource optimisation.
CIOB responds to Chancellor Sunak's announcement on jobs and the economy.
Revised guide to competition rules available.
Brick slip soffit systems and intricate brick features.
An innovative engineering approach could have had tragic consequence for NYC.
Some secrets behind how canals work.
Breaking down possible steps of pre-contract management.
ICE event includes comments from Welsh Government Minister Julie James.