Consumer Contracts Regulations
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 are applicable to all contracts for the provision of goods from 13 June 2014. They replace the previous Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 and the Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer's Home or Place of Work etc. Regulations 2008.
The regulations apply to off-premises contracts, distance contracts and on-premises contracts.
The regulations set out the following:
- The information a trader must give to a consumer before and after making a sale.
- How that information should be provided.
- The right for consumers to change their minds when purchasing from a distance or off-premises.
- Delivery times and passing of risk.
- A prohibition on any additional payments which appear as a default option.
- A prohibition on consumers having to pay in excess of the basic rate for post-contract customer help lines.
Schedule 1 to the regulations details the information that must be provided for on-premises contracts whilst Schedule 2 details the information for off-premises contracts. Schedule 3 provides details on cancellation rights for all distance and off-premises sellers.
Guidance information on the implementation of the regulations is provided in the government booklet ‘Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations, Implementing Guidance, December 2013’.
 Related articles on Designing Buildings Wiki.
- Appointing consultants.
- Back-to-back provisions in construction contacts.
- Breach of contract.
- Construction contracts.
- Construing a contract.
- Contract conditions.
- Contract documents.
- Contract v tort.
- Contracts under seal v under hand.
- Essentials of a contract.
- Express and implied terms in construction contracts.
- Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act HGRA.
- Modifying clauses in standard forms of contract.
- Scheme for Construction Contracts.
- The Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act
 External references
- Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
- Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations, Implementing Guidance, December 2013.
Featured articles and news
Read about Belgrade's Brutalist landmark - the Western City Gate.
Read about the measures that can be taken by individuals to protect and minimise exposure to outdoor sourced air pollution.
Government announces leaseholds on new-build houses will be banned.
Transport Secretary announces public consultation into London's funding of Crossrail 2.
Have a look at some of the most impressive concert stage designs of all time, including Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones, and more...
What is the Home Quality Mark? Find out how it can help you when buying/renting a new home.
Business Secretary launches £246m Faraday Challenge to establish UK as world leader in battery technology.
Government announces new plans for regulations to improve safety and security awareness of drone users.
Read our introductory article to the various different types of fuel.
IHBC book review: Charles Barry’s monumental struggle to rebuild the Houses of Parliament.
Read about RSHP's British Museum extension which has been shortlisted for the 2017 Stirling Prize.
Read our introductory article to building a house extension.
More updates from DCMS about the large-scale testing of cladding systems and the number of buildings affected.
UandI secure resolution to grant planning consent for major new regeneration project.