- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Jun 2022
Colour coated steel sheet
 Commonly used substrates
There are different kinds of base metal for making colour coated steel, including; cold rolled sheet, which is a cheaper material with a smooth and beautiful appearance but it has poor corrosion resistance and should only be used for temporary isolation measures and indoor materials.
Hot dipped galvanized sheet is the most commonly used substrate. First of all, the thick zinc coating makes it more resistant, and the painting on the surface acts as a barrier to isolate and prevent rust. Also, it provides more colour options.
Electro galvanized sheet is also a kind of substrate for making PPGI sheets. Compared to hot-dipped galvanized sheets, its layer of zinc is less than 20 g/m2. It has a smooth surface, but is not as durable as hot-dipped galvanized steel. Generally, it is mainly applied in home appliances and indoor environments.
Galvalume sheet is often used as a customized substrate for some special orders. It contains 55% aluminium, 43.5% zinc, and 1.5% silicon, which is suitable for applications that demand high corrosion resistance and heat reflectivity. Pre-painted galvalume sheet is more expensive.
Main Applications =
- Construction is the most commonly used area. PPGI and PPGL sheets can be applied in airports, warehouses, refrigerated storage and so on.
- Home appliance occupies the second biggest part of the market due to the craftsmanship and production requirements. Colour coated sheet with electro galvanized sheet and cold rolled sheet as substrates are are commonly used in the production of large air-conditioning systems, freezers, furniture, etc.
- Transportation plays a smaller part in the market. It can be used in the interior decoration of cars and trains, containers, oil purifiers, etc.
- It's also involved in some other fields like packing, shipping, optical materials, and the electric industry.
Featured articles and news
The last few days, but action needed over the next decade.
80 construction leaders and companies from across the UK.
Promoting the importance of building and fire safety.
A brief run through essential training tips from a user.
A comprehensive guide from a Cohesive BIM wiki user.
From the basics to the future from our Cohesive BIM wiki.
As electrical sector feels skills shortage bite.
CIOB Academy’s course take-up inked to external factors.
Q and A with self-representing artist, Hannah Shergold.
And publishes three-year strategic plan.
Introducing changes to make it more effective from 2024.
Shortlist announced for 2023 public choice award vote.
The last of the Victorians. Book review.
An exotic name that is shrouded in mystery.
From practice to research and the business of materials.