- Project plans
- Project activities
- Legislation and standards
- Industry context
- Specialist wikis
Last edited 30 Jun 2022
Colour coated steel sheet
 Commonly used substrates
There are different kinds of base metal for making colour coated steel, including; cold rolled sheet, which is a cheaper material with a smooth and beautiful appearance but it has poor corrosion resistance and should only be used for temporary isolation measures and indoor materials.
Hot dipped galvanized sheet is the most commonly used substrate. First of all, the thick zinc coating makes it more resistant, and the painting on the surface acts as a barrier to isolate and prevent rust. Also, it provides more colour options.
Electro galvanized sheet is also a kind of substrate for making PPGI sheets. Compared to hot-dipped galvanized sheets, its layer of zinc is less than 20 g/m2. It has a smooth surface, but is not as durable as hot-dipped galvanized steel. Generally, it is mainly applied in home appliances and indoor environments.
Galvalume sheet is often used as a customized substrate for some special orders. It contains 55% aluminium, 43.5% zinc, and 1.5% silicon, which is suitable for applications that demand high corrosion resistance and heat reflectivity. Pre-painted galvalume sheet is more expensive.
Main Applications =
Due to its numerous merits, it can be used directly or further processed for other use. Normally colour coated steel sheet concentrates on four fields:
- Construction is the most commonly used area. PPGI and PPGL sheets can be applied in airports, warehouses, refrigerated storage and so on.
- Home appliance occupies the second biggest part of the market due to the craftsmanship and production requirements. Colour coated sheet with electro galvanized sheet and cold rolled sheet as substrates are are commonly used in the production of large air-conditioning systems, freezers, furniture, etc.
- Transportation plays a smaller part in the market. It can be used in the interior decoration of cars and trains, containers, oil purifiers, etc.
- It's also involved in some other fields like packing, shipping, optical materials, and the electric industry.
Featured articles and news
A national valuation to fund old-age pensions.
The world’s largest Commonwealth memorial to the missing.
Long after the end of the defects liability period.
Occupant satisfaction and wellbeing in buildings.
From the simple to the complex.
And the UK Government guidelines.
Commitment agreed to by major built environment bodies.
Electrical skills, low carbon, high-tech and the building services revolution.
Ultra-deep drilling with millimeter-wave beam technology.
Looking at the built environment from space.
BSI standards 8671, 8672 and 8673.
Bringing life to burial grounds.
From failed modernism to twenty-minute neighbourhoods.
The gates process and change control.
Why people behave as they do. APM book.